not fillet possible with beziercircle components

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xyzuvw

not fillet possible with beziercircle components

Post by xyzuvw »

Hey Everyone,

i am new to freecad. Looks like a great tool!
My Problem:
I am not able to use the fillet option on a bezierpart in a sketch (see attachment).
Seems to work only with straight lines. Is this feature still missing?
In draftmode i cant find chamfer/fillet/bevel tool at all..

Chamfering after extrusion is not a real workaroud for my case.

thx dave
nofilletpossible.jpg
nofilletpossible.jpg (104.14 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Willem
Veteran

Re: not fillet possible with beziercircle components

Post by Willem »

Hi, welcome to the forum,

Indeed you can not use a fillet between an arc ( it is not a bezier curve) and a straight line.
here you must use three arcs and keep the center of the big arc aligned with the straight lines.
Attachments
test.fcstd
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

We could put it up as a feature request on the tracker. Doesn't look like a terribly hard thing to implement.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The fillets in Sketcher are actually a shortcut for inserting a quarter arc. Open your sketch at the marked points (you can select the point and press delete, it will delete the coincidence) move the points apart and insert a quarter arc almost on the right position. The end points should not touch the other points yet!
select the corresponding endpoints and add a tangent constraint (don't select the lines!).

That's not as fast as the sketcher's fillet, but it isn't really time consuming either.

Exclamation marks (!) show the situations where mistakes occur frequently.

Edit: I thought I was fast, but in a good forum others are faster.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xyzuvw

Post by xyzuvw »

hey willem,
thx for your fast answer.
Sadly your proposed workaround is not really a fast workflow, needs a lot of unnecessary clicks.
Btw i think a lot basic tools are missing or scattered on different places.
I think fc has a big potential but the feature set of basic operations is by far not enough.
For fast 2d construction with sketches basic operations like mirror or scale, offset, rotate, trim/extend, chamfer/fillet are missing.
Doing this all manually/numerically will take to long. Some operations are only available in draftmode some others only in sketches and some only available for 3d bodies..
Dont get me wrong its a great tool so far and maybe i need to discover the benefits from this given wrokflow more..
xyzuvw

Post by xyzuvw »

@chrisb
thx for your reply
"..Open your sketch at the marked points (you can select the point and press delete, it will delete the coincidence)" thats great!!
I would be a great addition if the specific selected contraint would be visible highlighted (+evtl zoomed to) in the constraints dialog (see mockup).
I will play around with your workarounds guys..

thx d
CconstProposal.jpg
CconstProposal.jpg (178.67 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

xyzuvw wrote: I would be a great addition if the specific selected contraint would be visible highlighted (+evtl zoomed to) in the constraints dialog (see mockup).
For the other types of constraints it works like this and you are right: it would be nice to have it here too.

Concerning your reply to Willem, let me point out a couple of things:
FreeCAD is not a 2D drawing program and other programs might be more suitable if you don't need 3D (e.g. inkscape comes to mind).

I see here frequently people who know some other modelling software and they hope to find here at least the same, only cheaper. Or better. Or both. That is not a good approach, you rather should get into it and use the modeling techniques as they are. Dare to think something new.
If you are new to 3D modelling at all: be aware that it is magnitudes more difficult than 2D modelling. That is independent from the tool used, as I learned here from people using high end professional systems.

Since FreeCAD is a real open source project people develop what they like or what they need. There is no masterplan, no design committee, no boss directing the development. That is reflected in the different workbenches.
When you have worked with FreeCAD for a while you will probably reduce the usage to a few workbenches which you use frequently, and some more which you use rarely. Then you can create easily your own toolbar with exactly the tools you want.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
xyzuvw

Post by xyzuvw »

Hey Chris,

thx for your reply again:)
"..I see here frequently people who know some other modelling software and they hope to find here at least the same, only cheaper. Or better. Or both. That is not a good approach, you rather should get into it and use the modeling techniques as they are. Dare to think something new.
If you are new to 3D modelling at all: be aware that it is magnitudes more difficult than 2D modelling. That is independent from the tool used, as I learned here from people using high end professional systems..."

-I think i exactly know what you mean. I am a very long term blender user and know about those folks (like me here now;) coming as newbies to the forum and trying to reinvent the program or worklfow from forum post#1.
But since i am very big fan of foss, i would be happy to see freecad as a real alternative to nx/sw..
Atm i think its not very comfortable/productiv with the toolset given imo no matter if you in 2d, 2.5d or 3d. Lowcost cubify design works very good and has good toolset. Please dont take it as an offend. I really would love to be able to use fc it for my cases.
cubify.jpg
cubify.jpg (203.54 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
cheers d
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Dave,
xyzuvw wrote:Lowcost cubify design works very good and has good toolset.
You do realize that you're talking about a commercial program backed by a big company. I'm pretty sure Cubify Design (is it still available? I haven't found it on the 3D Systems website) is based on Geomagic Design, formerly Alibre Design, a parametric CAD program which has been around for close to 17 years.

As chrisb explained, development of FreeCAD is entirely dependent on very few volunteers. Comparing it to Blender wouldn't be fair because the Blender community of developers is no doubt much bigger.

Let me ask what's your intent for this sketch: do you intend to pad it? If so, why not add a fillet feature after you've extruded a solid? In such cases this is always my preferred work flow.

That being said, of course as jnxd wrote it would be relevant to create a feature request on the tracker to have the Sketcher Fillet tool support arcs.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I'm pretty sure there is already a ticket but will check later.
Edit: issue #1304