Can't get results from pocket

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alan2

Can't get results from pocket

Post by alan2 »

V 0.16, W7 64 bit
I have sketched an outer circle and fully constrained it, and then made a pad, so I now have a cylinder. I then sketched a smaller inner circle and fully constrained this too. Both circles show green if selected so I presume that means fully constrained. But when I try to pocket, I get this message 'Please create a sketch 2D object first. It must have a support face on a solid. What makes this worse if that somehow I have succeeded before and can't remember what I did differently. I would appreciate a pointer *in simple terms* for this rank beginner!
Willem
Veteran

Re: Can't get results from pocket

Post by Willem »

Hi,
the message is clear, the sketch of the inner circle is not drawn on a face of the cylinder. Now you can do 2 things
- Pad the inner circle and make a boolean cut of the two cylinders in the Part workbench
- Attach the sketch of the inner circle on a face of the cylinder. In the part design workbench you need this icon
Sketcher_MapSketch.png
Sketcher_MapSketch.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 803 times
alan2

Post by alan2 »

Thanks Willem

I though I had drawn it on the end face. It is a circle, then padded so why wouldn't both ends be a face?
alan2

Post by alan2 »

Hi again Willem

I am assuming you meant one of the two suggestions? I tried the second one and it worked. Many many thanks!

Alan