Strange behaviours on MacOS ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JPL

Strange behaviours on MacOS ?

Post by JPL »

Hi there,

I'm a brand new user of FreeCAD, which I plan to create parts to be 3D-printed.
I'm a Macintosh user, running a MacOS Sierra (10.12.3).

I'm experiencing behaviours that I don't see on tutorials such as blurred colours on selections (see screen shot
strange colours while selecting a face
strange colours while selecting a face
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 23.45.33.png (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
and
strange colours while selecting a sketch
strange colours while selecting a sketch
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 23.57.19.png (44.44 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
).

Also, creating a sketch from a face is painful, while the tutorials on Windows shows a painless operation... :-(

Also, I'm have a pocket in a pad which appears randomly and does not cross my part, even with the "though all" parameter (
Pocket supposed to go "through all"
Pocket supposed to go "through all"
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 23.57.44.png (97.48 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
). However, the pocket seems to be there but when I export it to CURA, it's considered as fulfilled.

At last, I did try to load the file under a Windows 10 machine, but nothing shows... (but Windows 10 is such a nightmare, than I would not make a case on that). Are file easy to exchange between both side of Universe ?

Would you suggest to change my software, my OS, my OS version or the guy in front of the keyboard ?

Thanks for any help !

Cheers,

Jean-Philippe

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Base v3a.FCStd
My file
(32.1 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Strange behaviours on MacOS ?

Post by NormandC »

Salut Jean-Philippe,

Welcome here.
JPL wrote:blurred colours on selections
That's Z fighting caused by having two mostly identical solids sharing the same space. One of them should be hidden.
JPL wrote:Also, I'm have a pocket in a pad which appears randomly and does not cross my part, even with the "though all" parameter
See my first answer above. This is caused by your forking your model. We go over this problem repeatedly here on the forum, please do a search you will get a ton of results.

A useful tool to detect such problems is the Dependency graph. Wiki page: Std DependencyGraph
JPL

Post by JPL »

THANK YOU !

Once you wrote me "forked", I found references and did correct my model in a few minutes, understanding the error was to start with two overlapping rectangles.

However, it comes to me that, if I've never seen in the tutorials overlapping figures, I've never been warned about it.

Are you aware of a tutorial like "all the dumb things done by beginners" or, better, "all the dumb things thoughts by beginners", because frankly, I did not saw any mistake in my basic shape.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your advice and your PATIENCE !

Jean-Philippe
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Jean-Philippe,

Glad you worked it out by yourself with just my couple of pointers! :)
JPL wrote:Are you aware of a tutorial like "all the dumb things done by beginners" or, better, "all the dumb things thoughts by beginners", because frankly, I did not saw any mistake in my basic shape.
Unfortunately no. There's the wiki FAQ but it's become quite bloated and honestly difficult to navigate yet still missing a lot of stuff in regard to modelling pitfalls. I think it may be best to separate it into theme-specific pages, one for modelling, one for install etc.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Hi Normand,

After you gave me the hand to jump out of my hole, I'm back with a derived question.

I'm now working to avoid overlapping figures. My goal is to have a closed figure for padding/pocketing composed of several rectangles. I've seen a great video made by yourself as part as a discussion for the v0.17, showing the Trim Edge tool Image.

Is there somewhere a logical definition of this tool, including its use case and limitation ? I used it several time with various success, without finding how it really behaves. Sometime it works and a chunk of line disappears, sometime nothing seems to happen, sometime it seems to crash the application.

Something like a "reference manual" with the raw information ? I did unsuccessfully dig the wiki & tutos, but maybe I felt apart the topic ?

A simple pointer would make my day!

Jean-Philippe

(by the way, I've seen that you are in Quebec. I'm writing in English here to make the topic as visible as possible. Would you prefer me to post in French on the French-speaking forum ? Also, I've read a post from you about the history of FreeCAD back to the Matra Datavision days. Back to the 90's, and although at this time I was not modelling in 3D, I did work with Matra Espace in Velizy and was exposed to EUCLID... I didn't know FreeCAD was a child of Euclid. Thanks for the info... How small is the world ! :-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 16.45.14.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 16.45.14.png (12.59 KiB) Viewed 1226 times