Problems with Inkscape SVG imported into FreeCAD

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mikeism

Problems with Inkscape SVG imported into FreeCAD

Post by mikeism »

Hi Folks... I created a 2D part profile using Inkscape and I'm having trouble getting it to import into FreeCAD. The resulting shape in FreeCAD is missing curved sections of the perimeter and various interior 'holes' are also missing. Sections of the perimeter that are displayed are wavy, horrible looking and not usable. Using FreeCAD, I'd like to extrude the 2D part profile into a 3D solid but no can do with the quality of the shape imported into FreeCAD.

How I built the build the part profile in Inkscape:
1. Created a solid rectangle on layer 1

2. On layer 2 I created various shapes, whose interior formed the shape of a football (actually it's a much more complicated shape, but let's call it a football to keep this example simple).

3. After performing Path /Difference between layers 1 and 2, the solid rectangle in step 1 was now turned into a solid football shape.

4. Created circles on layer 3 and performed Path / Difference on layer 1 and layer 3. Now the solid football-shaped part has some interior holes in it.

5. Save and export to SVG. Also saved to DXF as well.

6. Import SVG into FreeCAD. Awful. Not usable.

7. If I import the DXF file into FreeCAD, then the shape quality is much better. However, the lines/curves are a bit wavy and not crisp and clear. The holes are not perfectly round like they are in Inkscape either; however, I might be able to tweak and extrude. Maybe.

Is there a thread or a sticky on best practices for importing Inkscape SVG or DXF files into FreeCAD?

Is DXF prefered over SVG for importing into FreeCAD?

By the way, the reason I ended up using Inkscape in the first place was so I could import a full-size, to-scale, scanned PDF of the original part into Inkscape, and then I used the steps above to create the Inkscape 2D profile of the part.
yorik
Founder

Re: Problems with Inkscape SVG imported into FreeCAD

Post by yorik »

I'd be curious to have a look at that SVG file... Could you attach it here?
Normally the import can have some defects, but rarely come to the point of being awful :)
mikeism

Post by mikeism »

Hi yorik...

Ignore my original post. My SVG file had various 'unjoined' nodes that likely caused the problem.

Thanks
Last edited by mikeism on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeism

Post by mikeism »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The best bugs are the bugs that solve themselves without us needing to do anything ;)
Glad you have it working!