Can't select a face next to a linear pattern without selecting the pattern

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DCSLighting

Can't select a face next to a linear pattern without selecting the pattern

Post by DCSLighting »

Hi, I am having trouble selecting a face of an object I created from a sketch that was padded. I had selected a face prior and then sketched to create a pocket. Then a linear pattern was made from that pocket. Now when I select the next face to work on it automatically selects the linear pattern instead of the face that I intend to sketch on to create another pocket. I'm sure its something simple that I am overlooking but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Can't select a face next to a linear pattern without selecting the pattern

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if it's simply a matter of misunderstanding the nature of PartDesign features. Each time you add a 3D feature, it is appended to the original solid, and it becomes the latest state of the model. So your LinearPattern is in fact your solid in its current state, therefore it is normal that it be selected to create a new sketch for a new pocket.

If that's not the problem you're having, please attach your FreeCAD file so we can have a look.
DCSLighting

Post by DCSLighting »

Hi NormandC,

Yes I realized after I posted that any face selected automatically selects the linear pattern since it was the last operation performed. However it will not let me sketch another pocket since no face is actually selected. I have attached the file for reference.

Thanks for the input!
Attachments
Hood light 1.FCStd
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I have no problem selecting any face on LinearPattern and mapping a sketch to it. I tested on 6 different faces.

But you should be advised that it is a very bad idea to base sketches on PartDesign Chamfer (or Fillet) features. The problem is that these features cannot be edited to reselect edges if something go wrong in your model. If at some point one of the Chamfer features fails to recompute for whatever reason, it will break the history of your model. Once a Chamfer/Fillet feature fails, there is no other choice but to delete it and create a new one. (In 0.17-dev these features can now be edited to add or remove edges)

For this reason you should always keep the chamfers and fillets as last steps.

Also, you can select more than one edge before creating a Chamfer feature; you can also select a face, and all edges around it will be chamfered.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
DCSLighting

Post by DCSLighting »

Understood with the chamfer. I will do it differently next time. However I am still not able to map a sketch to the face to create another pocket. Can you please post how you're doing so. I have tried selecting a face first then sketching which I am able to do but when I try to make a pocket I get a broken face error code.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DCSLighting wrote:Can you please post how you're doing so.
Simply
  1. Left-click on a face (hovering over it makes it highlighted yellow, after clicking it turns light green)
  2. Click on the Create new sketch icon.
What's your mouse navigation style? Mine is CAD Navigation. Mouse Model
DCSLighting wrote:I have tried selecting a face first then sketching which I am able to do but when I try to make a pocket I get a broken face error code.
Is the error message "Failed to validate broken face"? This means the sketch does not contain a properly enclosed profile.
DCSLighting

Post by DCSLighting »

The entire time my sketch just wasnt complete. Did not fully understand what the error code was telling me but now I do. I knew it was going to be something stupid and it was me :? . Thanks for your help.