Bug on Formula Expression or MIrror Input Field?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Bug on Formula Expression or MIrror Input Field?

Post by paullee »

Hi again!

I learn from wiki, DeepSOIC, Salp etc. on building formula expression in spreadsheet and object input field.

I put a formula expression in a Mirror field e.g. disposition and the result get updated when the underlying variable changes - that's fine.
(see Position - x in screenshot below)

However, when I saved, closed and re-open the file, the formula in the field disappeared / got 'resolved' in a result.
(see 2nd screenshot and FCStd)

Is it a bug or a feature? or there any 'workaround' to permanently keep the formula? Or only a problem in Mirror object?
(I have found similar issue happened in Base x,y,z field, but not tested on other objects...)

Screenshot from 2017-03-26 01-36-20.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-26 01-36-20.png (161.03 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Screenshot from 2017-03-26 01-36-54.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-26 01-36-54.png (149.97 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Attachments
Test _ Parametric Mirror _ rev 3 _ part _ Mirror - Formula Disappear.fcstd
(9.34 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
eivindkvedalen

Re: Bug on Formula Expression or MIrror Input Field?

Post by eivindkvedalen »

paullee wrote:Hi again!

I learn from wiki, DeepSOIC, Salp etc. on building formula expression in spreadsheet and object input field.

I put a formula expression in a Mirror field e.g. disposition and the result get updated when the underlying variable changes - that's fine.
(see Position - x in screenshot below)

However, when I saved, closed and re-open the file, the formula in the field disappeared / got 'resolved' in a result.
(see 2nd screenshot and FCStd)

Is it a bug or a feature? or there any 'workaround' to permanently keep the formula? Or only a problem in Mirror object?
(I have found similar issue happened in Base x,y,z field, but not tested on other objects...)
You have an error in your spreadsheet; see A31 and A32 (A32 references itself). I think this causes a failure when reading the objects back. I'd consider this a bug, so it would be nice if you could create a bug report (with you example) for it.

Eivind
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

eivindkvedalen wrote:
You have an error in your spreadsheet; see A31 and A32 (A32 references itself). I think this causes a failure when reading the objects back. I'd consider this a bug, so it would be nice if you could create a bug report (with you example) for it.

Eivind
Thanks for the hint!

I find if i remove the ERR in the spreadsheet (just lazy to clean up those lines which do not works earlier), the Formula in the Mirror Object would not disappear when re-opening the file!

(Just 'strange' as the Formula Expression in the Mirror Object is not referencing anything in the spreadsheet which has ERR.....)

Regards
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

paullee wrote:(Just 'strange' as the Formula Expression in the Mirror Object is not referencing anything in the spreadsheet which has ERR.....)
This is what I think is a bug, so it would be nice if you could report it. Then it will not be forgotten, and we will fix it eventually.

Eivind
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

eivindkvedalen wrote:
paullee wrote:(Just 'strange' as the Formula Expression in the Mirror Object is not referencing anything in the spreadsheet which has ERR.....)
This is what I think is a bug, so it would be nice if you could report it. Then it will not be forgotten, and we will fix it eventually.

Eivind

OK! I am creating an bug tracker account and checking Yorik's guideline on bug reporting.