workflow advice needed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
random

workflow advice needed

Post by random »

If you have to make changes to a component that is part of an assembly, how do you do it?
More specifically, in my case, I have a cylinder, a second cylinder that is a cut with the first to form a tube, then I mirrror the tube at an angle to make an intersecting set of tubes, and so forth, and I realize after doing this, that I really want a flat boss on the side of the very first cylinder. Once I have all this other stuff done, I'm unsure how to add something in near the base of the assembly tree. Ideally I'd like to insert a union into an operation and have the result go through all the subsequent boolean operations.
The way I know to do it would be to delete everything subsequent to the lowest operation, form the union, and then do all the subsequent boolean operations, but that seems like it defeats the purpose of parametric modeling.
Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice, and if there's a tutorial that shows this, pointing me there would be quite adequate. I just haven't found it yet.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6348 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 5fbdd4ac6624e32ba3a3e5523a31d56fe3ba7ae6
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
NormandC
Veteran

Re: workflow advice needed

Post by NormandC »

random wrote:OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6348 (Git)
Three months ago, I told you your version was utterly outdated. Still you haven't updated.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 03#p150910