I get holes in a solid object after sweeping

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
71GA

Re: I get holes in a solid object after sweeping

Post by 71GA »

NormandC wrote:[One of these flaws is failed Boolean operations when one of the solid sits flush to a cylinder seam edge.
Could you explain this a bit more? I can't seem to interpret it. :)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

71GA wrote:
NormandC wrote:[One of these flaws is failed Boolean operations when one of the solid sits flush to a cylinder seam edge.
Could you explain this a bit more? I can't seem to interpret it. :)
When you create a cylinder you have two circular faces for the top and bottom, and the central piece is sort of like a folded-up rectangle, glued to itself on a seam. You can see this seam in FreeCAD, and the seam edge is just the line segment that connects the top and bottom circular faces. If you have a solid that sits flush to this edge you can get unexpected Boolean operation failures.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

Thank you very much. So I guess until this is resolved in OCC I have to avoid using helix for making screws.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

71GA wrote:So I guess until this is resolved in OCC I have to avoid using helix for making screws.
No, if you have problems just make sure that the helix doesn't start or end at the seam of the bolt blank.
71GA

Post by 71GA »

bejant wrote:No, if you have problems just make sure that the helix doesn't start or end at the seam of the bolt blank.
This doesn't work. I tried it like this and I still get empty space after I do a boolean cut...
You can see that neither helix and neither swept profile are on the bolt seam...

The file:
Attachments
2017-03-27 -- outer threads -- v4.00.fcstd
(513.88 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

71GA wrote:This doesn't work. I tried it like this and I still get empty space after I do a boolean cut...
Apparently, this well-known workaround isn't working with the OCC version your FreeCAD version is compiled with (6.9.1).

Running Macro ForceRecompute on your model repairs it on the following FreeCAD version:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Can you try with the AppImage available here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.16

It is based on the Ubuntu package we provide in our PPA repo, and it's compiled with OCC 6.8.0.

I would also suggest another workaround that I've used in the past: remove the chamfer from the end of the screw (in Sketch); apply the cut between Pocket and Sweep; then create a new Revolution and use in a Part Cut on the bolt to make the chamfer.

EDIT: added file
2017-03-27 -- outer threads -- v4.00_normandc1.fcstd
(647.92 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Apply a Cut between "Cut" and "Revolution001", the file exceeded the forum attachment limit if I apply it.