Sketch on rotated orientation / Sketch Merge bug or feature?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Sketch on rotated orientation / Sketch Merge bug or feature?

Post by paullee »

Hi,

I find I need to sketch most of time orthogonal geometries in 2 main orientations (on same XY plane), one on the 'global' and one on say 45 degree from the 'global'.

On the 'rotated' orientation, I intend to still use the horizontal and vertical to mostly effectively constraint the orthogonal geometry. I can't find a discussion or tutorial with people did something similar. I study the following workflow and have some 'issues'-

1. I create one sketch on the 'global' XY-plane and sketch, say a rectangle.
2. I create another sketch and create the other geometry (constrained by vertical / horizontal)...as an example another rectangle
3. I rotate the 2nd sketch, and may place it with some reference from the 1st one.

'Issues' are
1. I thought I find the sketch merge function and try to merge them... I find the rotated sketch rectangle are merged with its 'restored global orientation' - i.e. not at its rotated location !!!???? - Is it supposed to be this way?
2. I find other 'workaround' in discussion, e.g. 'sketch to draft' but all the constraints are gone.
3. I am afraid this 'inherent properties' of a rotated sketch may spoil later on modeling in 3d down the process. Are there better workflow for my geometries? Otherwise just better to do with oblique line at an angle with a lot of Perpendicular and Parallel?

Thanks for any ideas!
Screenshot from 2017-03-28 07-10-52.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-28 07-10-52.png (166.29 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10653 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 64754a655e003db16161b58d04febb19a87bdb3d
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3