Flipping a part ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JPL

Flipping a part ?

Post by JPL »

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for the answers of NormandC and ChrisB to my previous inquiries.

I'm progressing and now, I'm designing a telephone holder to be 3D printed.

However, I though that my part was well oriented with a button standing on the ground and the edges upward, but it appears that I did he reverse : the flat bottom is up and the pocket in on the plate, which is obviously dumb.

[img]
Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 13.17.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 13.17.01.png (86.07 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
[/img]

I haven't found a way to just flip the entire model upside down. Does it exist ?
If not, maybe at the STL level ?

By the way, I was trying to seek for the status of Part Design Next (v0.17), but it looks unclear to me. Is it still time to make suggestions or is it now released ? At least it looks very appealing !

Thanks for all,

Jean-Philippe

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Samsung holder v1.FCStd
(24.37 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Flipping a part ?

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
Draft Clone. Then rotate the cone, and export it.

I prefer doing such things in plater of slic3r. Because it's more convenient to model things the way they are supposed to come together, not the way they are supposed to be printed.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

DeepSOIC wrote:Hi!
Draft Clone. Then rotate the cone, and export it.
Would be nice to see such features directly in Part-Desgn-wb.
BR,
HoWil
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

You can turn the body upside down, no problem at all. Interesting things will begin if you make another body and start importing stuff from that other body with e.g. shapebinders.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Hi there,

Thanks for your tip!

For this test, I finally flipped it with the slicer.

However, I'm interested in the discussion about "model things the way they are supposed to come together, not the way they are supposed to be printed.". I find it a very good advice: function first, production then (and loop until both are optimised).

By the way, will FreeCAD propose something like a "3D-Printer Workbench" with features dedicated to 3D printing ? For instance, it could be nice to provide padding with a density option to mix various strength on the same part or, with multiple printing heads, to specify which material to use for a solid.

Although I did not investigate that level, I believe that this can be adjusted from the G-Code generator in the STL exporter ?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi,
JPL wrote:By the way, will FreeCAD propose something like a "3D-Printer Workbench" with features dedicated to 3D printing ?
As with anything, this will entirely depend on if some new developer decides to contribute such a workbench.

The existing developers mainly work on goals according to their interests and they no doubt have their hands full with their own projects.