Lines in Perpendicular Plane and Attached to Pad Face

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hman111

Lines in Perpendicular Plane and Attached to Pad Face

Post by hman111 »

Perpendicular and Attached to Pad Face Question

My FreeCad About Info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Hello Fellow FreeCaders, I’m seeking help with a drafting problem.

I’m starting with a base, here an Octagon Shaped Pad (see fig. 1).
I would like to draft lines that are both a) in a drawing plane that is perpendicular to a face of the pad, and b) attached to the face of the pad.

My approach has been to
1. Create a Sketch attached to a face of the pad (see fig. 2).
2. Selecting Part Design → Reorient Sketch . . .
3. Now I have the plane perpendicular to the face, but I cannot attach the lines to the face (see fig. 3).

I have also tried the Revolve a Selected Sketch and Mirror Sketch feature but they did not give me the results I wanted. Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks.
Attachments
HoL 3 Perp and Attach Line Question G Reoriented Sketch.FCStd
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
fig 3 Sketch Reoriented in another Plane Lines Unattached to Face.png
fig 3 Sketch Reoriented in another Plane Lines Unattached to Face.png (7.64 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
fig 2 Line attached to face.png
fig 2 Line attached to face.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
fig 1 Base.png
fig 1 Base.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Lines in Perpendicular Plane and Attached to Pad Face

Post by renatorivo »

Welcome to FreeCAD.
If it is still relevant, why you want attach the lines to the face?
If you want to add a part to another, you must select a face, in the first solid, and create the sketch on the selected face.

Renato
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

hman111 wrote:
Hello Fellow FreeCaders, I’m seeking help with a drafting problem.

I’m starting with a base, here an Octagon Shaped Pad (see fig. 1).
I would like to draft lines that are both a) in a drawing plane that is perpendicular to a face of the pad, and b) attached to the face of the pad.

My approach has been to
1. Create a Sketch attached to a face of the pad (see fig. 2).
2. Selecting Part Design → Reorient Sketch . . .
3. Now I have the plane perpendicular to the face, but I cannot attach the lines to the face (see fig. 3).
Dear hman111,
Can you please explain a bit more what the expected outcome should look like. The final part not of this specific sketch. Maybe there is absolutely different way to achieve you goal.

It's it possible to share a hand drawing?

Br,
Howil
Ps.:you maybe consider to use 0.17 offering much more possibilities regarding aligning sketches
hman111

Post by hman111 »

Thank You Renato & HoWil!

Here is some more information so to try to understand my project better and my questions.

Overview: My friend would like to build and display an interactive festival sculpture called, “the Heart of Lotus”. She envisions a lotus flower sculpture where the pedals would open up and display a heart sculpture.

My Approach: She has inquired about using steam bent wood or reclaimed rubber for the pedals. While I’m sure these methods have their advantages, my idea would be to cut and assemble three panels likely from plywood to form a geodesic looking pedal. The pedal would be replicated seven more times. While this method may not convey the artistic representation as well as the above mentioned methods, I could (hopefully) design, build, and transport the sculpture in pieces. I would (hopefully) complete this in a reasonable time with an affordable budget. We would then assemble the sculpture on site. The sculpture would have enough ruggedness to handle transportation and the elements in the field.

FreeCad Design Challenges. I have drafted the outline of the outer profile of the panel structure and a brace or backrest (see fig. 4). I would hope that I could fix the bottom points of the sketch to the base so I could come up with some exact outer dimensions. Then I could use these to draft three pads for the lower, middle, and upper panels. Once I had the panels I would copy them and assemble them in FreeCad for the structure. Finally, once I had the structure to my liking, I would then use the panel drawings with the correct dimensions to cut the panels and assemble them into a solid structure.

Right now in fig. 4 and Project J Profile of Panel and Brace – Backrest, I attempted to line up the bottom points of the lines with the base, but this is approximate and they float freely. I was hoping to fix them to the base and then use the exact dimensions to create separate panel pad drawings before assembly.

I’ve used the mirror feature to create symmetric outlines (see fig. 5). Fig. 5 and Project L Panel Approximation presents an approximate first draft of what the outside of the sculpture would look like.

RE: FreeCad Version 0.17. Is 0.17 still in Beta? Is it relatively stable? If 0.17 is in Beta, is there an official release date or an approximate time when the yearly upgrade is released?

Again any help will be appreciated. -Thanks :D
Attachments
HoL 3 Perp and Attach Line Question L Panel Approximation.FCStd
(13.23 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
HoL 3 Perp and Attach Line Question J.FCStd
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
fig 5 Panel Outline Approximation.png
fig 5 Panel Outline Approximation.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
fig 4 Right Side Panel Edge.png
fig 4 Right Side Panel Edge.png (27.28 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Hi,
I do not know if this can be useful
loto.png
loto.png (34.2 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
loto2.FCStd
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Renato
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

hman111 wrote: RE: FreeCad Version 0.17. Is 0.17 still in Beta? Is it relatively stable? If 0.17 is in Beta, is there an official release date or an approximate time when the yearly upgrade is released?
Good to test 0.17 but don't use for important work, there is no guarantee that further development will not break your file.

You can easily run both FreeCAD 0.16 and the 0.17 snapshots on the same computer but opening files on 0.16 that were made or even just opened in 0.17 is likely to cause issues.

At a quick glance at this topic I would suggest that you might find that Expressions​ could help. Then you can define a property's value based the the value of another property and or object.