Suggestions Sketcher - Partdesign

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Suggestions Sketcher - Partdesign

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,
I am sorry that I can not express myself clearly in English, so I thus decided awkwardly to bring my suggestions in French.
From now on I shall use the translators to express myself directly in English, at the risk of some errors.

First of all a big thank you to all the developers for their outstanding work which I benefit almost every day!

Here are my proposals:
1- Constraints in Sketcher (see image suggestion 1) :
Let a horizontal ABCD rectangle not positioned.
As soon as the vertex A is coincident with O, the sides AB and AD are constrained in position.
If the dimension of length AD is added, the side CD of the latter is constrained in its turn.
Finally, if we add the dimension of length AB, the rectangle comes completely constrained.

There is an interest : when we observe the image 2, we understand instinctively that summits B, C either D and (or) sides BC and CD can be freely moved.
In the image 3, summits B and C as well as side BC can be again moved.
This vision of things allows to target visually which are the not yet forced entities, what is more practical than a final global result(profit).

2- Function previews (see image suggestion 2) :
It would seem practical to me that in the functions of addition or removal of material the property of updating the result is unchecked by default: for long calculations, it is necessary to wait until the end of the calculations by default before being able to indicate the desired value.
(Perhaps it would be possible to be able to choose in the preferences?).

Thank you for reading my proposals.

Regards,

JPG87 (France)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10680 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: add9bf910bbb37c35738b01d38c7fe28b75fb8e3
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Attachments
suggestion2.jpg
suggestion2.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
suggestion1.jpg
suggestion1.jpg (94.04 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Last edited by jpg87 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
jidoeuf

Re: Suggestions Sketcher - Partdesign

Post by jidoeuf »

jpg87 wrote:Bonjour,

je suis désolé de ne pouvoir m'exprimer clairement en anglais, j'ai donc décidé d'apporter mes suggestions en français.
Tout d'abord un grand merci à tous les développeurs pour leur travail exceptionnel dont je profite presque tous les jours !

Voici donc mes propositions :
1- Contraintes dans Sketcher (voir image suggestion 1) :
Soit un rectangle ABCD horizontal non positionné.
Dès que le sommet A est mis en coïncidence avec O, les côtés AB et AD sont contraints en position.
Si on rajoute la cote de longueur AD, le côté CD de vient contraint en position à son tour.
Enfin si on rajoute la cote de longueur AB, le rectangle de vient complètement contraint.

2- Prévisualisations de fonctions (voir image suggestion 2) :
Il me semblerait pratique que dans les fonctions d'ajout ou d'enlèvement de matière la propriété de réactualisation du résultat soit décochée par défaut : pour des calculs longs, il faut attendre la fin des calculs par défaut avant de pouvoir indiquer la valeur souhaitée.
(peut-être serait-il possible de pouvoir choisir dans les préférences ?).

Merci de lire mes propositions.

Cordialement,
Google Translate:
google translate wrote: Hello,
I am sorry that I can not express myself clearly in English, so I decided to make my suggestions in French.
First of all a big thank you to all the developers for their outstanding work which I benefit almost every day!

Here are my proposals:
1- Constraints in Sketcher (see image suggestion 1):
Let a horizontal ABCD rectangle not positioned.
As soon as the vertex A is coincident with O, the sides AB and AD are constrained in position.
If the dimension of length AD is added, the side CD of the latter is constrained in its turn.
Finally, if we add the dimension of length AB, the rectangle comes completely constrained.

2- Function previews (see image suggestion 2):
It would seem practical to me that in the functions of addition or removal of material the property of updating the result is unchecked by default: for long calculations, it is necessary to wait until the end of the calculations by default before being able to indicate the desired value.
(Perhaps it would be possible to be able to choose in the preferences?).

Thank you for reading my proposals.

Regards,
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

jidoeuf wrote:(peut-être serait-il possible de pouvoir choisir dans les préférences ?).
Hi jidoeuf, it can be changed by going to Tools (pull-down menu) > Edit Parameters, and then changing the parameter circled in the image below from True to False.

Bonjour jidoeuf, il peut être changé en allant dans Outils (menu déroulant)> Modifier les paramètres, puis en modifiant le paramètre entouré dans l'image ci-dessous de Vrai à faux.

20170405a.png
20170405a.png (88.47 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

1. ENGLISH FIRST PLEASE. This means at the top of the page, not as an afterthought and in quoted text at the bottom of your second post.

This is the English forum, and MOST of its users do not speak French. Posting in French first here is disrespectful to them.

We should be extremely strict on that, or people will think they can post in whatever language they want here, and it will become a tower of Babel. :roll:
  2. The Help forum is for help requests, for suggestions you should have posted in the Open discussion forum. The forum descriptions in the forum index are very clear about that.
jidoeuf

Post by jidoeuf »

NormandC wrote:
  1. ENGLISH FIRST PLEASE. This means at the top of the page, not as an afterthought and in quoted text at the bottom of your second post.
I'm not the author of the first post. I translated it.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,

i am sorry, but my English is very approximative : i don't want to be disrespectful to anybody.
I am the author of the post and jidoeuf kindly translated the text to allow all the English speakers to understand better my proposals.

Regards,

jpg87 (France)
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hi bejant,

Thank you for your answer, I have enough no reflex to look in the tools parameters.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@jpg87: Regarding your first proposal I don't think that we should mark parts of a sketch in green if they are not fully constrained. In your third picture (the second of your sketch) you have 2 green lines. Both of them can still change in length and thus I don't want to see them in green.
It would in fact be of help if fully constrained parts of a sketch could be marked as such, but I can see as well that this is not an easy task.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,
I will try to clarify my thoughts.
In image 2, I think that the constraint in the positions of the sides AB and AD is enough to show that only B, C, D, BC and CD are modifiable with the mouse. So the fact that AB and AD are declared "locked" even if they are only in position is an important information for the designer.
In the same way, on the image 3, the fact that CD is declared "locked" shows that only the position of BC remains free, and this can then be locked by fixing either B, C or BC by a dimension .