Parts Design Object Movement in

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
beginnerbob

Parts Design Object Movement in

Post by beginnerbob »

What's the secret to moving a 3D Parts Design objects in the main (non-edit) window? No problem moving 3D Parts objects, but when I Pad a Parts Design object to make it 3D it appears to be frozen in place. Sorry for this dumb question but after making good strides I'm stuck trying to put these parts together in an assembly. Spent several days trying to do this, watched many videos ... and still lost. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thx Beginner Bob

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Parts Design Object Movement in

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.

The placement is defined by the placement of the first sketch in your object's history. The placement of all the following features is defined by the face that the sketch is attached to and hence ultimately by the placement of the first sketch.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Jim, this is clearly a help request, it should go in the "Help on using FreeCAD" forum rather than in the "Open discussion" forum.
jmaustpc wrote:The placement is defined by the placement of the first sketch in your object's history.
To add to what Jim wrote, this restriction may not seem to make sense, but it was necessary to prepare the introduction of new features that will be in the future 0.17 version (it's already available in pre-release builds but it's still under heavy development). All PartDesign features for a part will be grouped under a "Body" container, and it is the Body that will be movable. This will also make things much easier to manage assemblies of parts, and allow for an "Assembly" workbench that has yet to be completed.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:
Jim, this is clearly a help request, it should go in the "Help on using FreeCAD" forum rather than in the "Open discussion" forum.
Yeah, I didn't notice that it wasn't. It's also been asked a million times before.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Jim!

It's a good candidate for the most frequently asked questions on the forum that we discussed. I'm sorry I haven't updated the forum rules yet... :oops:
beginnerbob

Post by beginnerbob »

Thanks everyone, you folks are GREAT!

Sorry I put this in the wrong place. As my login name indicates ... I'm a beginner to 3D and Free CAD. I'm fascinated, confused and, daunted by Free CAD. I only need 10% of Free Cad's ability now; but trying to figure out and use that 10% isn't easy for a beginner. I'm to new to understand the intricacies you speak of and have resorted to using Parts instead but it's messy and probably won't work when I try to put the pieces together. Knowing there's support I'm going to try and continue.

Hopefully I can slay this first dragon and go onto to bigger and better things w/Free CAD. I see that v.17 beta has been released and was tempted to try it but adding another unknown is probably more than I can handle now. I thought being a programmer I'd be able to get thru this stuff but that background means little to a newbie in the 3D world.

Thx Again,
Humbled Beginner Bob

PS: Keep up the good work. This is a great product ... if you know what you're doing.
If I can ever get past the basics I'd like to contribute, at least as a beta tester ... and ideally more.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi Bob,

Everyone needs to start somewhere! I have the advantage of having used CAD programs for almost 20 years as part of my daily job. I've also been following FreeCAD's development for the past 7 years now, and the improvements have been amazing. Learning new stuff piece by piece as soon as it becomes available is much easier than all at once! ;)

The important thing is to not wait too long before asking questions. Don't wait until you're frustrated!
beginnerbob wrote:I see that v.17 beta has been released and was tempted to try it
Regular builds of "0.17_pre" (for pre-release) have been provided for the past year or so. There are huge changes in the PartDesign workbench, these changes make much of the existing learning material pertaining to it (wiki, Youtube tutorials) obsolete. I think it's best to get one's bearings on the current 0.16.670x release, but that does not prevent you from downloading 0.17_pre when you feel like it and test it. Both versions can be used on the same PC.

Cheers!

Normand
beginnerbob

Post by beginnerbob »

Thx Normand. Good advice on not waiting too long to ask for help. Can I load v.16 and .17 on the same Win 10 PC w/o conflicts? Since this question is not related to my original question I debated making a new request for it ... should I have?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That's ok, there's no problem with loading 0.16 and 0.17_pre on the same PC, because the 0.17_pre build is actually not an installer. It's a zip archive that you extract, and you can launch the FreeCAD.exe executable directly (it's in the "bin" folder).
beginnerbob

Post by beginnerbob »

Great gotta at least have a look, Thx!