I worked last 25 years with ACAD programs as Mechanical Desktop, Inventor as well as SolidWorks, little bit CREO. Now I try FreeCad and used tutorials quite a lot. This is needed since the logic behind SW and Inventor is quite different to FreeCAD. I use latest stabile version FreeCad 16.08 run on SUSE Enterprise.
Part Design. I produced some Girders (beams) made of pads, sweeps - different sketches in different plans but as one part. (part design module)
Expected this is one part. Is this really one part? I can see all "features" are there.
1) Connection between parts via constrains and ensured result was "green", means part o.k. In some cases I used edge "linked to external geometry"
When changing dimensions, I lost regularly constrains need to be redone. Why?
2) I managed mirroring one half of girder, but end up only see the mirror parts in tree, full part as model. Maybe I made a failure mirror all elements in tree as sketches? Why can't I see original solids and mirror solids in tree?
Questions: In SW and Inventor sketches are part of geometry. in FreeCad it looks like the solid is build of sketch, but both a seperat? It seems I can delete sketch or path, but solid is still there. How is the logic behind the 3D models?
3) I tried to use these Parts made of different sketches and features as mentioned above in Assembly. But this doesn't worked. I got failure message. After some work I used "Union" operation and got a kind of one part, still see the features below. (smart). Now I could use the parts in Assembly. Why?
4) Is it possible using sub-assemblies, means make an assembly and use this in a larger assembly later?
5) I can see there are some good modules available. Will these modules get part of FreeCad in future? Is there a more simple way of adding modules and features than installtion of each of them?
Thanks for support