Embedding or Embossing a logo onto a surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Embedding or Embossing a logo onto a surface

Post by chrisb »

I sorted it out: If you select the right extrudes the fusion is no problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have made two Fusions:
- the first contains all the Cuts
- the second contains all the Extrudes shown in the screenshot.

These two Fusions can be booled together to a single fusion for further work.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-22 um 18.13.16.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-22 um 18.13.16.png (29.16 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm sad to say: Although I succeded in creating a fusion I did not get any further. If I try to use my fusion for a cut or another fusion I get an error with Check geometry reporting lots of self intersects and "TooSmallEdge".

I am afraid that now an expert (like sgrogan, sorry for jumping in and finally having no success) has to take over.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

rotormansa wrote:I'll give 0.17 a shot, but for reference here's a link to my dropbox location with the example file. This isn't the final but close. What I'm trying to do is create this image embedded into the surface of another object. This is needed when printing 3d filament type prints if this is the bottom surface, top surface it could either be embedded or embossed but the bottom layer has to embedded else the print really looks horrible. I've succeeded doing this with blender BUT it is SO time consuming to achieve the effect, and I did it with a much simpler logo. Ideally a tool that converts to a solid then do a boolean difference between this solid and the one your burning into is needed.

Here's the link; https://www.dropbox.com/s/th73svtzc1vew ... FCStd?dl=0
Hi,
can you also share the .svg? You should to as much as possible in Inkscape... combining the path and import it as one path.
Please see also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p168366.
BR,
HoWil
rotormansa

Post by rotormansa »

Attached is the SVG file that I did export from Inkscape. Basicaly I took a jpeg file and did a bitmap trace and exported to svg format. This is the same methodology to use in Blender as well. In Freecad it was much easier to get to a point where it 'looks' like a solid that should be able to burn into another surface with a boolean function but still no luck. This seems like such a common feature / task but I haven't found it easy to do in Blender and can't seem to make it happen in Freecad. Frustrating.
Attachments
MARC_LOGO_600x600a.svg
(190.98 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The svg has many points (835) and most if not all of them define bezier curves, even if the seem to be straight lines. Some of them are very short curves, the error message in FreeCAD suggests problems from that side. Another thing is, that it might lack precision at least in the letters.
I would use the existing SVG as a basis for a manual trace:

I would divide it in two parts: the letters and circles as one svg path, the inner graphic as the second part. Then you can use the simplify tool from Inkscape at least on the inner stuff. (It doesn't work very well on your letters.)

Next I would make straight lines really straight and make circles really circles. That will save you hundreds of points and will omit the ultra short bezier curves.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I used this script to get an approximation,
then some extra work is needed to create the fuse and diffs.
if you use different values for the discretize method you can optimize the point count.
with the right point count makeBSpline instead of makeWire gives smooth curves.

Code: Select all

import Draft

for p in App.ActiveDocument.Objects[0:30]:
	print p.Shape.Wires
	w=p.Shape.Wires[0]
	pts=w.discretize(100)
	#ff=Draft.makeBSpline(pts,face=False)
	ff=Draft.makeWire(pts,face=False)
	ff.MakeFace=False
	f = App.ActiveDocument.addObject('Part::Extrusion', 'Extrude ' + p.Label)
	f.Base = ff
	f.Solid = True
	f.LengthFwd = 10.

App.ActiveDocument.ActiveObject.ViewObject.LineColor=(1.,0.,0.)
	p.ViewObject.hide()
	App.activeDocument().recompute()
	Gui.updateGui()

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa »

After a few weeks of trying different methods the best method was to import the SVG and trace over the drawing in sketch. Very time consuming but good results. Theses are a few of the shortcomings of FreeCad.

* Scaling is very difficult. It's recommended not to scale but why? Blender makes it so easy, this tool is quite hard.
* Objects become non-Objects. So many times I've found an out to an issue, apply the tool and then I can't do anything with the results.
* Simple flipping (mirroring) is very convoluted.

Some things in FreeCad are quite simplistic. I've created a pump volute in less than 30 minutes, in blender that would have been a day long process. I'll probably stick with FreeCad but hope when .18 comes out some improvements are made to address the short comings I've highlighted.

Rotormansa
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

rotormansa wrote:After a few weeks of trying different methods the best method was to import the SVG and trace over the drawing in sketch. Very time consuming but good results. Theses are a few of the shortcomings of FreeCad.

* Scaling is very difficult. It's recommended not to scale but why? Blender makes it so easy, this tool is quite hard.
* Objects become non-Objects. So many times I've found an out to an issue, apply the tool and then I can't do anything with the results.
* Simple flipping (mirroring) is very convoluted.

Some things in FreeCad are quite simplistic. I've created a pump volute in less than 30 minutes, in blender that would have been a day long process. I'll probably stick with FreeCad but hope when .18 comes out some improvements are made to address the short comings I've highlighted.

Rotormansa
Feel free to find these issues in the bugtracker and notate them. https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view_all_bug_page.php
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote:Feel free to find these issues in the bugtracker
Please discuss the problems here first. Sometimes it is a matter of a different approach, that leads to a satifying result, sometimes it is a different tool, workbench or handling. And sometimes it is a bug.
rotormansa wrote:Scaling is very difficult. It's recommended not to scale but why?
FreeCAD is a program creating parametric models. So the idea is not to scale the end result but rather to adjust the very first sketch and the final object gets scaled accordingly.
In case you really need to scale you can create a clone which can be scaled.

I don't know Blender but what I understand from reading here is that FreeCAD and Blender have very different modeling approaches. They seem not to be competitors but rather amendments to each other.