Arch Wall: how to draw abutting walls

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davecoventry

Arch Wall: how to draw abutting walls

Post by davecoventry »

The external wall of my building is drawn with a rectangle and the corners have no abutting edge.

However, with the internal walls, there is a line which indicates that the two walls are separate. I don't want this. I want the walls to be drawn as if it was one entity.

How do I achieve this?
Screenshot20170420075017.png
Screenshot20170420075017.png (73.08 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
~ Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Arch Wall: how to draw abutting walls

Post by chrisb »

I am not familiar with Arch WB, but I guess it's the same as with Part WB, where the same happens due to internal precision issues.
There are three ways (I know of) to solve the problem:

- Part->Refine shape, this seems to break the history, i.e. you cannot reverse it.
- Preferences->Part Design, check the "Refine" boxes; this seems to break the history as well.
- Open SCAD->Refine shape feature, this creates a new element in the tree with the original object as subelement
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jidoeuf

Post by jidoeuf »

davecoventry wrote: How do I achieve this?
Use Arch Add
  1. Select the object(s) to be added, then the "host" object (the host object must be the last one you selected)
  2. Press the ImageArch Add button
Arch_Add.gif
Other reference :
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_tu ... _the_walls
Last edited by jidoeuf on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

Thank you!

That sounds exactly what I need. I was just about to try redrawing the walls.
~ Dave
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The idea to "add" a wall to another is not perfect. It will solve the problem, but i'd like to find a better solution one day to unite walls without making them dependent one on another...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jidoeuf wrote: Use Arch Add
  1. Select the object(s) to be added, then the "host" object (the host object must be the last one you selected)
  2. Press the ImageArch Add button
yorik wrote:The idea to "add" a wall to another is not perfect. It will solve the problem, but i'd like to find a better solution one day to unite walls without making them dependent one on another...
Hi, I use ArchAdd but usually create an additional ArchWall object(e.g. Wall_all) to 'host' other Walls so it would be more easy to change / relocate subsequently.

Currently, i would consider the graphical representation needs (1) if the walls are of same materials or (2) of same / homogenous construction e.g. pre-cast facade to determine whether / which walls go to which wall groups.

Regarding Yorik's feature being conceived, just want know the potential usage. Thanks!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The whole issue of how to manage multi-layer or multi-material walls, and how to automatically join them, while keeping them independent, is a pretty hard thing to solve. For ex. Revit does some trick where wall unite graphically, but stay independent somehow... We could go that way too, it would be possible, by doing a special view provider that would compute different edges and "hide" pieces of them, but that seems very weird to me.