How to edit boundary box

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fon

How to edit boundary box

Post by Fon »

I am beginner, I try to use Pad on part design, but I can'i. I think I have problem with boundary box. Please help to advice me. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (63.01 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (75.13 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to edit boundary box

Post by chrisb »

For a pad to work you need a closed sketch without self intersections. I am pretty sure that with all these points you have missing coincident constraints.
Try PartDesign->Validate sketch and fix the missing coincidences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Fon

Post by Fon »

I am very thank you for your kind. I try as your recommendation. But I still can't. How to do next, please advice. Thanks.
Attachments
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (66.86 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (84.77 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload your FreeCAD file or put it on a globally available fileshare server?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Fon

Post by Fon »

This is my file. Thanks for your kind.
Attachments
Cat2.FCStd
(70.29 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How did you create the lines in the sketch, did you use the polyline or are these single lines?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I was able to repair your sketch. There where three problems:

- You had the grid switched on with a size of 10m, although the toggle didn't show it.
To switch it off:
- edit Sketch003
- show the edit controls
- klick Show grid
- klick Grid snap on and off again
- deselect Show grid

- Something went wrong with your constraints. Since you have only coincidence constraints it is easy to fix:
- delete all constraints
- exit the edit mode
- call Validate sketch
- find missing coincdences and fix them

- The first and the last point are not connected - possibly due to the problem with the grid
- connect them

Now you can pad the cat.
Attachments
Cat2_cb.FCStd
(147.62 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Fon

Post by Fon »

I try to fix my mistake as your recommendation, then I success. So I greatly appreciate your kindness. Thanks again.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You're welcome.

For tracing images I usually recommend a different workflow: I use inkscape to trace the image. Inkscape has already a simplify tool for paths so that you don't have so many points.
The SVG created by inkscape can be imported as geometry to FreeCAD. However, you don't get a Sketch, which you may want to have for further editing, you rather get a wire which you can extrude.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Fon,

Welcome to the forum.

Independently of the help provided by chrisb, I thought to reply to one of your earlier questions:
Fon wrote:I think I have problem with boundary box.
The boundary box cannot be edited. It is calculated automatically by FreeCAD and its only purpose is to give a visual hint of an object's size.

Alternatively to the method of retracing the shape, you could also convert the imported mesh to solids. But to do that, you need to split the mesh into its separate mesh components with Image Arch SplitMesh from the Architecture --> Utilities menu of the Arch workbench. This will separate the Cat mesh into 5 meshes.

After that, you can convert the meshes to solid as explained in this tutorial: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Import_ ... h_to_solid

Once you have 5 solids, it should be easier to extract 2D geometry to extrude to a different length.