cannot follow a tutorial

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
robotMarvin

cannot follow a tutorial

Post by robotMarvin »

hello i tried to follow the tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmrfB47 ... 26cn9idJrj

The whiffle bal. all went wel unti i reached the part when we use placement on the sketch of the triangles. the incremental changes i made just won t apply. it keeps switching back. Has this something to do with the new part design, or is this a bug
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: cannot follow a tutorial

Post by jmaustpc »

robotMarvin wrote:all went wel unti i reached the part when we use placement on the sketch of the triangles. the incremental changes i made just won t apply. it keeps switching back. Has this something to do with the new part design, or is this a bug
Without looking at the tutorial this appears to be the same question that has been asked a hundred times before........

Your in PartDesign WB, placement is controlled by the placement of the First sketch in your history Only, your subsequent sketches are usually mapped to a face of your solid created by the previous step in your model's history.

I suggest you read the FreeCAD wiki. You have not posted your version data, how to do so is explained in the forum rules link at the top of the Help forum.
robotMarvin

Post by robotMarvin »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10236 (Git) (Packman)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: dd20ba3d068c4a0903417d93144f8ac7fed068e9
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev

ok, sorry for my ignorance, i couldn t find anything in the wiki about my problem, but I found a part of the solution myself. I have to use the placement for the body in wich the sketch is drawn, and now my sketch is revolving as i want it. Only now when i extrude the sketch, just one part of the sketch is extruding and i need all parts to extrude.
robotMarvin

Post by robotMarvin »

here is my drawing

test sketch placement.fcstd
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Since you seem to be a FreeCAD beginner I would recommend to use the stable 0.16 version for the tutorials. The 0.17 is still unstable, the internal representation of a model may change unexpectedly due to design decisions, and most tutorials - if not all - are made for the 0.16. So there are less frustrations to be expected.

In your model you have several "islands" modeled in your sketch. However: Draft Workbench can produce only one solid.
Did you mix "Part Design Pad" with "Part Extrude"? Perhaps the mixture of Part with the Part Design Body construct is a problem. You wouldn't encounter the latter if you use the 0.16 version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.