sketch offset tool

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
corvusdeux

sketch offset tool

Post by corvusdeux »

Hello comnunity,

First of all, congratulations for all last new features, are awesome!

I work every day whit Catia, and right now FreeCAD is very productive.

One question, and so sorry is someone ask before. I can not find any post whit search.

It possible use offset tool in actual Skecher WB in 0.17 dev?? I have this one, ppa ubuntu. But I cant find it.

Thanks in advance!!! :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: sketch offset tool

Post by chrisb »

There is no offset tool in Sketcher WB. There is a 2D offset in Part WB, you may have a look at it. It can offset sketches as well but I am not sure how the result behaves in FreeCAD 0.17 in terms of mixing Part Design/Body and Part WB stuff.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Part_Offset2D
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
corvusdeux

Post by corvusdeux »

Thank you!!! :D I try! ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

@ Moderators

This topic should not have been posted in "Part Design module development" forum, but in "Help about using FreeCAD". Could you please move it?

Thanks.

@corvusdeux Unless you want to discuss development (as in programming), please do not ask questions in any of the Developers corner forum.

I'll remind you that the Forum Index has descriptions for each sub-forum. This one's is
About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

moved.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:01 pm There is no offset tool in Sketcher WB. There is a 2D offset in Part WB, you may have a look at it. It can offset sketches as well but I am not sure how the result behaves in FreeCAD 0.17 in terms of mixing Part Design/Body and Part WB stuff.
it seems that Part_Offset2D doesn't work with negative offsetting (trying to shrink an outline)...
as in documentation:

enlarge is fine:

Code: Select all

import Part
circle = Part.Circle().toShape()
enlarged_circle = circle.makeOffset2D(0.5)
Part.show(circle)
Part.show(enlarged_circle)
shrink-ed is wrong:

Code: Select all

import Part
circle = Part.Circle().toShape()
shrinked_circle = circle.makeOffset2D(-0.3)
Part.show(circle)
Part.show(shrinked_circle)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
Base.FreeCADError: FreeCAD exception thrown (makeOffset2D: result of offsetting is null!)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

easyw-fc wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 am it seems that Part_Offset2D doesn't work with negative offsetting (trying to shrink an outline)...
Probably only on circles. 2D offset is surprisingly broken on the simplest thing to offset ever - full circles.
zmp2000

Post by zmp2000 »

Currently an Offset tool for sketches was already requested
https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3708

in comments it's said that it would be avaliable for the 0.19 version, but currently was not delivered so far!
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

zmp2000 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:33 pm in comments it's said that it would be avaliable for the 0.19 version, but currently was not delivered so far!
Seems logical as 0.18 is hardly released and 0.19 just started its development cycle. ;)
xorx

Post by xorx »

Seems logical as 0.18 is hardly released and 0.19 just started its development cycle.
I am waiting for the sketch offset too, because I discovered a new application with FreeCad for me.

I started sewing a year ago and I am using FreeCad now as sewing pattern design software. The parametric sketcher is excelent for this purpose! Only TechDrawing workbench is needed beside sketcher.

In a last process step before exporting he pattern for printing a seam allowance has to be added to all edges of the pattern. This is in the simplest case a 2D offset of 1 to 2 cm on all borders. In more complex cases it would be useful to apply different offsets on different edges of the pattern.

I really love FreeCad. It has become an excellent tools with really useful features! Thanks to all developers.