dxf import problems windows version

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pastmanu

dxf import problems windows version

Post by pastmanu »

Hi to all, i have this problem. I installed freecad in some Windows Pc's. When i try to import a dxf file in Win 10 pc Freecad does 'wire' objects, instead when i try to import a dxf file in Win 8.1 pc Freecad makes lines, arcs..etc etc.
In all Pc i installed freecad 0.16(last stable version 0.16.6706.f86.. etc etc) and the last dxf import version (1.39). I would 'wire' objects on all the import file. I've seen some posts that talk about 'wires' with lines and arcs and the problem of the order of them. They use FixWire command in python. Can it be a solution for me? How can I use it on the python command line with the selected lines(and arcs)after import?
Thanks in advance

manu
yorik
Founder

Re: dxf import problems windows version

Post by yorik »

In edit -> preferences -> import/export -> dxf you can set ifyou want lines to be imported as lines or joined into wires (join geometry, or group by layer). You can also explode wires into individual lines/arcs with Draft Downgrade
pastmanu

Post by pastmanu »

Thankx for your answer. I try all the options(dxf importer options) but with win8.1 does not work. I attach a drawing as an exemple. When i import in freecad i see only line and arc. If i try to join the external perimeter(upgrade in draft) freecad does not make 'wire' and say me (on report) "it's impossible to upgrade the object". I try also without check on "legacy importer" and it does not work anyway. My co-workers with Win10 work it. I tried with different versions of dxf but I have the same results. The only way for me, but it is laborious, is delete some lines in draft and redraw them.
How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

manu
Attachments
Untitled3.dxf
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There are open gaps in your drawing, that prevent FreeCAD from closing wires. You might try to tweak the Preferences->Draft-> precision and tolerance values, it might work, but the best way would be to fix things in the dxf file itself.
Screenshot from 2017-04-27 13-14-44.png
Screenshot from 2017-04-27 13-14-44.png (43 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

pastmanu wrote:I try all the options(dxf importer options) but with win8.1 does not work
Try this, set you prefs like this,
dxfprefs.PNG
dxfprefs.PNG (94.24 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
Key are Sketches and Join geometry. Close and re-open FreeCAD for the prefs to take.
Import your dxf. Delete or hide everything except "Sketch". Select "Sketch" in the Tree. From the Sketch or Part Design menu choose "Validate sketch..." Click on "Find" under missing coincidences. As yorik has pointed out you will find about 102 missing coincidences, click fix.
Now you can pad, extrude, or convert the sketch to draft.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
"fight the good fight"