FreeCAD in a very old machine

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

FreeCAD in a very old machine

Post by abdullah »

Does anybody know if FreeCAD v.17 can run in a AMD K7 (without SSE2) from early 2000?

I installed freecad-daily and I get illegal instruction...
Willem
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD in a very old machine

Post by Willem »

Hi Abdullah, I do not know the answer but I think it is also important to tell what your installed OS is
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Willem wrote:Hi Abdullah, I do not know the answer but I think it is also important to tell what your installed OS is
Hi!

Yes, definitely. I can install in the computer whatever linux distribution. The priority is that it runs FC. Currently it is running Lubuntu 17.04.

I have debug my run, and apparently one of the dependencies, xerces-c, is compiled with sse2 support by default in that version of lubuntu. I am building it from source to disable sse2 now...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

abdullah wrote:I have debug my run, and apparently one of the dependencies, xerces-c, is compiled with sse2 support by default in that version of lubuntu. I am building it from source to disable sse2 now...
Out of curiosity, how is this controlled? Compiler optimization flags?
"fight the good fight"
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote:
abdullah wrote:I have debug my run, and apparently one of the dependencies, xerces-c, is compiled with sse2 support by default in that version of lubuntu. I am building it from source to disable sse2 now...
Out of curiosity, how is this controlled? Compiler optimization flags?
for this case, there is a --disable-sse2 configuration flag that you add to your debian/rules.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote:Out of curiosity, how is this controlled? Compiler optimization flags?
I am going to cry out of joy... it works!! I am running FreeCAD v.17 in a 15+ old computer running lubuntu 17.04 and I must say it does not lag!! :D

If anybody needs to run FC in a pre K8 AMD processor without SSE2, just install xerces-c from source. Before executing debuild, in the source directory, just edit debian/rules and in the "override_dh_auto_configure: dh_auto_configure" section add --disable-sse2 at the end. Save, execute debuild and then install the packages. Done!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

abdullah wrote:
sgrogan wrote:Out of curiosity, how is this controlled? Compiler optimization flags?
I am going to cry out of joy... it works!! I am running FreeCAD v.17 in a 15+ old computer running lubuntu 17.04 and I must say it does not lag!! :D

If anybody needs to run FC in a pre K8 AMD processor without SSE2, just install xerces-c from source. Before executing debuild, in the source directory, just edit debian/rules and in the "override_dh_auto_configure: dh_auto_configure" section add --disable-sse2 at the end. Save, execute debuild and then install the packages. Done!
Hi Abdullah
interesting!
I have found in the past that the GPU in old machines can be a problem in that some OpenGL features are not supported and then you find the occasional odd bug like constraint values not showing up in sketcher. I once had a laptop with a very old GPU and despite Werner changing some stuff, the problem never was fixed for me, but that was a very old Pentium 3 laptop which I have since chucked out. :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

In this machine I see the constraints in blue (I mean the driving constraints). Otherwise it works reasonably well. My neighbour's son is very happy with it so far ;)