[0.17] Align plane to cone wall

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
salp

[0.17] Align plane to cone wall

Post by salp »

I'm practicing by following the Reddit cad challenge https://www.reddit.com/r/cad/comments/6 ... llenge_23/ and I'm stuck creating the "B" Moderate exercise.

I created the cone and I don't seem to be able to align a plane to the sloped wall.
Up to now I've only created cylinders and I have been following the example of the "FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices" of attaching the plane to the top and then moving it to the appropriate location. With the cone is it possible to attach the plane directly to the cone wall?

Thanks
Sal
23_Moderate.jpg
23_Moderate.jpg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
Attachments
N23_Moderate.fcstd
(20.04 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add [0.17] to subject
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Align plane to cone wall

Post by NormandC »

Hi salp,

Those challenges seem fun.
salp wrote:With the cone is it possible to attach the plane directly to the cone wall?
Yes it is, with some limitations. When creating a Datum plane with no pre-selection, all the existing attachment modes are listed. There's a Tangent to Surface mode, its help tool tip mentions that a vertex and a face are needed.

In FreeCAD, cylindrical, conical and spherical faces have a split line, or "seam". So one of the cone wall seam vertices can be used. But I couldn't find how to make it work with the conical face. I could only make it work by selecting both vertices. I have no idea if this is a bug, or if it works as intended, but the help text is wrong.
FC017_DatumPlane_TangentToSurface_01.png
FC017_DatumPlane_TangentToSurface_01.png (81.13 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Now I thought that the Extra placement properties would allow to rotate the Datum plane on the Body's Z Axis, but it doesn't, or I didn't find how.

So you got a datum plane tangent to the conical face, but based on the blueprint, it's on the other side of where you want it (should be to the right of the YZ plane). So you got three options:
  1. Leave it there, and work as if the part was rotated 180 degrees on its Z axis in reference to the blueprint;
  2. Create somehow a datum line or a sketch on the XZ plane lying on the face of the conical face, so you have vertices to create your datum plane; I found no parametric way of doing that without resorting to expressions (too convoluted)
  3. Realign the Revolution sketch so it starts on the other side of the YZ plane, so the conical seam will be on the right side. This is really simple: under the Sketch properties, toggle the Map Reverse property to true.
I would go with 3 because it will make your life easier when you create the ortho views in the TechDraw workbench.

Next problem is how to figure out the offset value from the conical face: in section D-D, where the heck is that 21.32 dimension attached to?!? The 11 dim makes just a little more sense but is not really useful either. It's a stupid way of dimensioning if you ask me...

Good luck! ;)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote:In FreeCAD, cylindrical, conical and spherical faces have a split line, or "seam". So one of the cone wall seam vertices can be used. But I couldn't find how to make it work with the conical face. I could only make it work by selecting both vertices. I have no idea if this is a bug, or if it works as intended, but the help text is wrong.
It is a bug, another variant of it was reported recently for plane on three points mode.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Well I was only looking at the projected view at the right and just now noticed that the whatchamacallit at 45 degrees from top view isn't a polar pattern of the other feature.

And with the revolution having created the cone empty, a tangent plane rotated 45 degrees is going to be required, with no obvious way of creating the necessary vertices. :?

I'll think about it...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DeepSOIC wrote:It is a bug
Cool, if it was reported for the 3-point mode, should I create a separate ticket?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Up to you. I don't remember if that bug was added to tracker...
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=21738
Looks like there's no tracker ticket for it.
salp

Post by salp »

NormandC thanks for the reply.

Your helpful as always.

Sal
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

NormandC wrote:And with the revolution having created the cone empty, a tangent plane rotated 45 degrees is going to be required, with no obvious way of creating the necessary vertices. :?
Found it. :geek:

Datum point with "On edge" attachment mode. Just select a circular edge of the cone. By default the datum point is created at the start of the edge, which aligns with the seam. The datum point has a Map Path Parameter property that can have a value between 0 and 1, which corresponds to a ratio of the relative length along the edge. So to locate the datum at 225 degrees counterclockwise from the XY plane, I entered a simple expression (225/360) because I'm lazy. :D

Because of the mentioned bug, I had to create two datum points, one for each circular edge of the cone, I was then able to create a datum plane where I wanted it.
FC017_DatumPoint_OnEdge_01.png
FC017_DatumPoint_OnEdge_01.png (120.41 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
DeepSOIC wrote:Looks like there's no tracker ticket for it.
I'll try to record one over the weekend.
salp wrote:NormandC thanks for the reply.
Glad to help. Could you do me a favour, and edit your first post to add [0.17] to the start of your Subject? This way it's clear from the list of topics this is about the development version. Thanks.
Attachments
N23_Moderate_normandc1.fcstd
(214.99 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
mario52
Veteran

Re: [0.17] Align plane to cone wall

Post by mario52 »

hi
with my Macro Plane (not finished) select the "couture" and click
PlanToCone00.png
PlanToCone00.png (14.17 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
PlanToCone01.png
PlanToCone01.png (25.05 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
N23_Moderate01.FCStd
(25.26 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.