Questions about creating a Loft under 0.17

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rjpeek

Questions about creating a Loft under 0.17

Post by rjpeek »

I noticed the lofted part is not under the Body once the lofted part is created, is that correct? To create my lofted part I created two sketches, adjusted the z-axis on one of them (Super Placement Position) under the PartDesign Workbench. Then I changed to the Part Workbench and selected the Loft tool (Utility to loft), selected both sketches to move them to the right window and checked the Create Solid box to make a solid lofted part.
loft1.fcstd
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10973 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: e94a86dd700f5dd79bcc3407eec1b1ae1acf5a86
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Questions about creating a Loft under 0.17

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
If you want loft tool under body, use PartDesign Loft, not Part Loft.
Or, you should create two sketches outside of any Body, from Sketcher workbench, and use Part Loft.

Body is only for PartDesign stuff. If you still have a desire to put Part Loft into a Body-like thing, check out Part-o-magic's Module container.
rjpeek

Post by rjpeek »

Can you show me how to loft under the PartDesign Workbench. I can not find the same or similar "Utility to loft" symbol in the PartDesign Workbench that I can in the Part Workbench, That's why I used the Part Loft tool.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

rjpeek wrote:I can not find the same or similar "Utility to loft" symbol in the PartDesign Workbench that I can in the Part Workbench
Only the colour is different, it's yellow instead of blue apart from that it's the same exact icon...

Yellow = additive
Red = subtractive

Haven't you looked at the links in the FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices topic? Specifically https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sandbox ... esign_Next
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The help text shown when you hover over the icon is irritating - well actually it is erroneous: It is the Sweep help text.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I know! I've been thinking of making my own pull request to fix that. (that would make me a "developer" :D ) The text string should be easy enough to locate. But I always put it aside...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Since weeks I plan to setup all this GIT stuff (with which I have no experience) to be able to contribute the small improvements I have made to the Path Workbench, but alas, there is always something else to do.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.