2 issues on linux : start page and opengl window on vbox

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cristi Achim

2 issues on linux : start page and opengl window on vbox

Post by Cristi Achim »

I installed 0.9 branch on top of a virtualbox vm , ubuntu 9.10 guest on ubuntu 8.04 host with 3d acceleration support from Powell's repository .

First issue is with the start page : I have to install freecad-dev package to read it , probably has to do with some fonts .
The second issue is with the opengl window . First thing I noticed was that I can't see the stuff I make from drafting interface or part interface except when I press the center button . Then I see stuff in more than 1 version : I make a line , center on screen and see it and when I tried to rotate I suddenly see 3 lines almost forming a triangle . Also with the parts I create - I see more than one and by rotating them they move in strange ways . like they are projected on a sphere or distorted . Also the opengl stuff gets copied when I go to another workspace .

Then I try blender which almost works ok except the opengl window isn't updated when I go to another workspace : I can't see the desktop but only the blender thintgs that are in opengl . So I made a bug report on the virtual box bug tracker for that - I would have for freecad but don't now who would install stuff from Powell's repository to check a bug on a very unused program like freecad .

Now the funny thing : blender seems to work fine over x or gtk or whatever when I edit the initial cube or rotate the window , but freecad doesn't work that well in that freecad code + soqt code + qt code + opengl code soupe - showing 3 versions of everything all wrong - this is weird and might not be a virtualbox bug .

If I install freecad on my native windows with the new installer I hope it works and the duplication bug may be something something some dev could want to try although it's a lot of work and mabe not worth your time .
jriegel
Founder

Re: 2 issues on linux : start page and opengl window on vbox

Post by jriegel »

The problem I think is mostly due problems with multi context OpenGl. Most games (and Blender) use only one Gl window. We use one for every
Document. The switching between this OpenGl states (OpenGL is a state-full interface ) is done by SoQt and Qt. It seams that a lot drivers in the
Linux world have problem with that kind of usage. I fear most of the OpenGl implementations are only tested against simple Gl applications.
I personally run a 9.10 Ubuntu in a Virtual'Box on Windows and it works fine. Its hart to cope with bad/partial implemented drivers at that level.
As application programmers we have nearly no change to implement around that...

I look with sorrow at the problems with OpenGl and Linux. Its a constant pain.
Stop whining - start coding!
Cristi Achim

Post by Cristi Achim »

First issue is not related to opengl at all .
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Thats right, I will probaly switch off the Star Page for the next releases. Webkit in Qt makes some problems and its not a critical resource so far.
OpenGl is critical for CAD system.
Stop whining - start coding!