We are here to help you learn how to use FreeCAD. Who's "we"? A bunch of forum regulars and even FreeCAD's own developers -when their no doubt busy schedule permits!
What we ask in return is that you read the instructions below before posting.
Please provide your FreeCAD info! But please, not in your signature!
Providing your complete FreeCAD info will allow us to tailor our replies to your specific FreeCAD version and operating system. It may not seem relevant to you, but we get useful information out of this. This takes only seconds, and there are good chances you will be reminded if you don't!
It's as easy as
- Open FreeCAD, switch to the Part workbench. (The Part Design workbench will do too)
- Go to the Help --> About FreeCAD menu (on MacOS X, the About FreeCAD menu is located under the Application menu)
- In the About FreeCAD window, click on the "Copy to clipboard" button.
- Paste the copied content into your message. It will contain technical data about your FreeCAD version shown like this:
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6700 (Git)
Build type: None
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
If you can, uploading your FreeCAD document (*.FCStd, *.fcstd) will also be very useful, Please don't zip your file FCstd is already a zipped archive, so compressing it again is unlikely to be of any benefit and is inconvenient for others who are trying to help you.
Are you sure your FreeCAD version is current?
The current stable version is 0.16 revision 6700 (0.16.6700) published on April 07, 2016. Anything lower is outdated and won't benefit from many features and bug fixes. 32-bit and 64-bit "release" and development snapshots of FreeCAD for Windows and Mac OSX are available for download here. If you're on Ubuntu or a Ubuntu-based distro, please realize that the version provided in the Ubuntu official repository is utterly obsolete, and that we do not support it. We offer a FreeCAD Stable Releases PPA repository with the latest "release" version or better still use the "daily" PPA which compiles a new version almost every day from the official FreeCAD repository master branch FreeCAD Daily Releases PPA repository. Using a different Linux distribution? You may need to compile from source to have the latest. Don't hesitate to ask for help in the Install/Compile forum!
Use the online documentation
It is not complete, but it's a starting point. The Online Help Table of Contents is here: Online_Help_Toc
Any help in completing it is welcome! Learn here how to get wiki editing rights.
Looking for tutorials?
This page lists a few tutorials. There are many videotutorials on YouTube, check out the FreeCADNews channel.
Interested in Python scripting?
Have a look here. We also have a new forum dedicated to Python scripting and macros.
Attaching files, images to your posts
When creating a new post (or editing one), there's an Upload attachment tab under the text field. This will allow you to upload a file of 512KB max size.
Supported file formats
- Image formats: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, tiff (the last one is not displayed in most browsers, please use only if you have no other choice of image format)
- FreeCAD files (*.FCStd, *.fcstd) Do not compress, archive or zip a FCstd file
- OpenSCAD files (*.scad, *.csg)
- CAD exchange formats: BREP (*.brep, *.brp), DXF, IFC (*.ifc), IGES (*.igs, *.iges), STEP (*.stp, *.step)
- Mesh formats: COLLADA (*.dae), obj, ply, stl, vrml, wrl
- Archive formats: 7z, ace, bz2, gtar, gz, rar, tar, tgz, zip (the latter should be preferred as it is the most commonly used)
- Other: svg (as attachment, not as image)