Help with gear type object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sayluv

Re: Help with gear type object

Post by sayluv »

thank you
lemonbug

Post by lemonbug »

Now that we have this object made is there a way to scale it? I tried changing the radius of the cylinder but it completely messed things up.

Thank you.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

lemonbug wrote:Now that we have this object made is there a way to scale it?
You can change to the Draft WB, select "PolarPattern" from the tree view, click the Scale tool:
check the "Copy" box to true, and scale it that way.

Or you can change the diameter of Cylinder, then double-click Sketch in the tree view and edit it accordingly.

You'll have to make sure your Preferences match mine:

before you open the attached model because I used the Link to External Geometry tool:

in the file I attached.
Attachments
20141029b_JGear.fcstd
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
lemonbug

Post by lemonbug »

Thank you.

If you make some crazy object with and later decide to come back and make it larger or smaller you are basically otu of luck right? so for instance, we made a car engine and then later wanted to scale it, we simply couldn't make the entire thing larger or smaller right? you would have to go back and edit each object individually?

thanks again.
jmh

Post by jmh »

Just getting into the FreeCad world but wanted to say Thanks! to tose that are offering up so much help here. These are great tutorials for a beginner!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

lemonbug wrote:If you make some crazy object with and later decide to come back and make it larger or smaller you are basically otu of luck right?
No, the Draft Scale tool can do that:
lemonbug wrote:so for instance, we made a car engine and then later wanted to scale it, we simply couldn't make the entire thing larger or smaller right
No, you can scale the whole model.
lemonbug wrote:you would have to go back and edit each object individually?
No, but you won't have any parts in common between the new model and the old. You may want to be able to interchange maybe castings for the crankshaft, engine block, cylinder head(s), intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. in which case you'd edit those things individually.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

In parametric modeling, scaling is considered bad practice. And I mean BAD. Scaling a part or a whole assembly of parts utterly defeats the purpose of building parts with parametric history. Why go to all this trouble then?

Here's an example. Let's say your engine cylinders were bored to a specific value. Next you scale the whole engine by say 3%. But now you want to change the bore size. What do you do? You go back to the feature which created the bore and edit its diameter, but here's the problem: you now need to set your new value minus 3%, since it's going to be scaled up 3%.

You will need to do that for any feature you want to change in the model. It makes absolutely no sense.

The only valid reason to scale a model that I know of is for specific manufacturing processes like injection mold design for thermoplastic parts. Since plastic parts shrink when they cool off, the mold needs to be bigger that the original part. So you import the part, scale it up, then use it as an imprint to build the mold.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

+1
"fight the good fight"
lemonbug

Post by lemonbug »

Thanks for the information normandc. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that.