Odd lines after booleans on solids

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
branco

Odd lines after booleans on solids

Post by branco »

I followed the following steps on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with the latest .deb uploaded to sourceforge :
-create outer cylinder
-create interior cylinder
-remove inned cylinder from outer one to create pipe
-create box that goes into the cut out area along the entire pipe
-union the pipe and box
The stuff that is inside the pipe is created correctly but I'm left with lines that sow where the box was on the pipe
and also the former line of the pipe on the area of the box that goes to the inside of the pipe as if the brep data structure
holds not only the outer shell but also the former outer shells that should now be the inside of the solid after boolean union .
All created from parametric geometric primitive tool and union tool .

Also it was awkward to not find the parametric primitive tool on the default toolbar and had to look for it the menu even after I remembered that it's not disapearing on me like the boolean tool . So please consider moving an icon of that on the the part toolbar and making the boolean tool not disapear the same way that the parametric primitive tool doesn't .

Oh well another long post ;) .
branco

Re: Odd lines after booleans on solids

Post by branco »

Also I couldn't figure how to use the drafting stuff to create an outer shell of the shape I described , then select an area to fill as a 0 width solid ?automatically? by selecting an outer edge and than extruding on height . Although drafting would be a reasonable way to work precisely on a previously definded solid for creating extrudes and than cutting/adding to the initial solid .
wmayer
Founder

Re: Odd lines after booleans on solids

Post by wmayer »

...The stuff that is inside the pipe is created correctly but I'm left with lines that sow where the box...
This all is done by the used CAD kernel and there is nothing from our side we can do to avoid or fix this.
Also it was awkward to not find the parametric primitive tool on the default toolbar
This is because we have no icon for it :)
So please consider moving an icon of that on the the part toolbar and making the boolean tool not disapear the same way that the parametric primitive tool doesn't
I can't remember how the boolean tool dialog looks like in your version but in the current version it is a dialog embedded to the task view on the left side and doesn't appear automatically either now.
I think it's even better to keep the dialog open than to hide it immediately because often people like to run several operations and then it would be annoying having to open again and again.