Part Design as Assembly alternative?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
luker

Part Design as Assembly alternative?

Post by luker »

Hi there,

please give me a hint on how the site's release note image project has been created:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/images/3 ... CAD013.jpg

I need to design something like a door and hinge, but haven't been able to get several parts together yet.

How do I do that?
triplus
Veteran

Re: Part Design as Assembly alternative?

Post by triplus »

Basically you do the positioning manually for now without any relations between parts. Each part has Placement Properties (look in the sidebar) you can control manually and there are tools in for example Draft Workbench you can use to position your parts correctly.

I would suggest for you to create parts first you would like to use to make assembly out of them and then use tool under Part -> Create simple copy on each and move this "simple objects" to form an assembly because ATM moving parts around made out of several features can be quite a challenge some times! If you have parts saved in separate files you can use File -> Merge project... to group them into single project.
quick61
Veteran

Re: Part Design as Assembly alternative?

Post by quick61 »

In addition to what triplus has said, This video may help you understand how to use the available tools to position parts in FreeCAD

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?