making turned pipe

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
karsten05

making turned pipe

Post by karsten05 »

Dear all,
I try to generate a turned tube that has a constant inner diameter of 5mm but the outer diameter needs to change from 10mm down to 7mm, Like a cone. This tube needs to be turned in a 90° angle with a inner radius of 10mm.

I can make this turned tube with a constant diameter or a straight pipe with the slope function but does not know how to make this one in combination.

Many thanks
Karsten

Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.13.1828
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.3.0
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: making turned pipe

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Karsten
welcome to FreeCAD ...

Easy, done...:-)

Here it is
bent_conical_od_pipe.fcstd
(24.7 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

and here is a picture
bentconicalpipe.jpg
bentconicalpipe.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3450 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: e2b24d8606937bf2b4ddfecb944ff5f8412bd175
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0

You said "slope function", I assume you meant to say Part WB Sweep? Anyway just do this,
1)define the path, easy to do with a sketch and PolyLine tool but could be done many ways e.g. Draft wire/Bsplin/Bezier curve ect...
2) define the ID with a circle in a sketch mounted on the correct plane with the correct offset value. (Or use many other tools and position the output)
3)make a Part WB Sweep of you single ID profile along the path, tick "make solid"
4) make two profiles for the ID to define the different diameters...correctly orient and locate them (it is possible to have many profiles and vary the shape in all sorts of ways along the path)
5)make a sweep from the start profile to the finish profile along the path, tick make solid
6)select the OD sweep first then holding the ctrl key, select the ID sweep, then click on the Boolean cut icon in the tool bar

Note that your version of FreeCAD is now very old and your results may differ....I recommend you get the latest development build for Windows...there has been a lot added since 0.13 was finished.

You might find that you need to set your tessellation value to a smaller value, if you get a crinkled appearance, this is just a visualisation issue it does not actually effect the solid...just what it looks like...:-)

Jim
karsten05

Re: making turned pipe

Post by karsten05 »

Hi Jim,

sometimes it is only an issue of the mindset......my idea has been to do it in one sweep but your solution is obviously more easy. I will try your guideline.

Many thanks
Karstern