resize circle in part design web and a few new user fails

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DaQue

resize circle in part design web and a few new user fails

Post by DaQue »

Hi, I am at the new user shooting yourself in the foot stage. I want to design a mini palet for use on a mill.

Its just a square plate with two sets of holes on 1 inch centers. One set is centered in between the other. It is about 100 holes. Now for my fails. I can place a circle where I want but I can't seem to find out how to resize it.
I am not sure what is standard practice to indicate one set are taped holes, is that usually just done during CAM once the CAD is done. Any rapid way to place 50-100 circles while in part design? Also I think it may be a feature I just don't understand yet when I pull a circle radius when making it there is a dia./radius number (I think) that pops up that is definitely not in inches and I have the preferences set to English (imperial). Thanks in advance for any help.
Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3700 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: 32f5aae0a64333ec8d5d160dbc46e690510c8fe1
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.6.0
NormandC
Veteran

Re: resize circle in part design web and a few new user fail

Post by NormandC »

Hello DaQue,

Welcome here. First of all, please read the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" topic that is at the very top of this forum. It explains how to provide your complete FreeCAD info, which not always essential but always useful to have.

As for your problem, it is always a lot easier to understand what you are trying to do when you attach your FreeCAD file.
DaQue wrote:I can place a circle where I want but I can't seem to find out how to resize it.
Assuming you have created a sketch, you size it by adding a radial constraint.
DaQue wrote:Any rapid way to place 50-100 circles while in part design?
Look for the PartDesign MultiTransform feature. In it, you will create two PartDesign LinearPatterns to generate a grid of holes. You need to select a single pocket that includes the hole to repeat.
DaQue

Post by DaQue »

Thank you! I will post a file with the next question. I thought the problem was so generic a file wouldn't help. I may go back a add it to my OP but I'm mo re like to just start over using the information you provide about placing the 100ish holes. I have only played with Freecad two nights but like most of what I have gotten to work. I just need to get to the point where I just do it instead of thinking how to do it. The radius constraint for example. I know there is one set when I pull out on the circle to size when I make it but I didn't see it in the list of constraints. I know another thing I did wrong I started with a board with 100 holes in it. I think tonight I will do one with one hole then one with 4. Lots less to sift through.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Greetings DaQue, in addition to what normandc posted:
DaQue wrote:I thought the problem was so generic a file wouldn't help
Hmm ... it's been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. So maybe a model is worth a tome? But to be more serious, a model usually helps a helper understand your intent better.
DaQue wrote:I may go back a add it to my OP but I'm mo re like to just start over using the information you provide about placing the 100ish holes.
If you can post what you're trying to achieve, that would help too. If I understand correctly, you're trying to do create holes on a staggered array which is not difficult to do.
DaQue wrote:I just need to get to the point where I just do it instead of thinking how to do it.
For me I am always conscious of the following thought when creating a model: "how can I get the desired result in the simplest possible manner?" (mainly because I'm fundamentally a lazy individual).
DaQue wrote:The radius constraint for example. I know there is one set when I pull out on the circle to size when I make it
No, not in Sketcher (Part Design WB)
DaQue wrote: I didn't see it in the list of constraints
Look for this one:
DaQue wrote:I know another thing I did wrong I started with a board with 100 holes in it. I think tonight I will do one with one hole then one with 4.
I'll suggest a slightly different approach than normandc posted; first get familiar with the Part Design WB Create Linear Pattern tool:
then try the MultiTransform tool:
for linear patterns in two directions.

Anyway, don't hesitate to post back, with more info we can offer better and more relevant help...
DaQue

Post by DaQue »

[wiki][/wiki]I'm at work and can't post the time right now but I did start over again and the original problem of not being able to resize a circle once I let go at its creation has disappeared. Before it would turn green when I clicked it and refuse to change size by dragging and double clicking it would not let me enter a numerical value. I will post my work in progress after I see the movie Lucy tonight.
DaQue

Post by DaQue »

First what I forgot to put in the OP, its changed from them I found the 64 bit version and figured why not use it on Win8 64 bit.

Now lets see if I have my Dropbox set to share the file correctly. I think I got it done but I may have the hole dept wrong on a few. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv9w6k7g7i3hj ... Mill.FCStd

I wish I could work in inches when doing the linear array, transform, pocket depth etc.Image
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DaQue wrote:I wish I could work in inches when doing the linear array, transform, pocket depth etc.Image
Units conversion is not complete in the current stable release.

Only in Pocket, you can set imperial values for the depth in the Data tab, but not in the Pocket parameters. In the Transformation tools, inches are not recognized. This will come in a later version.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Delete "LinearPattern" (because it forked your model) and you should be OK:
20140726d_Da_Que.png
20140726d_Da_Que.png (77.93 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
DaQue

Post by DaQue »

Thanks guys for the help and feedback. I just watched another tutorial on YouTube, "01a Intro to FreeCAD's Part Design Workbench Parts 1 and 2 (with audio)" and picked up on a few more things too.

It's amazing what you can find with free and open software.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That video was made by none other than bejant here. ;)