Radial arrangement of shapes (solved!)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
docsnappy

Radial arrangement of shapes (solved!)

Post by docsnappy »

Greetings experts:

Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3389
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1

I'm trying to create a radial arrangement of shapes and I'm stuck. So far, I've created a sketch of a circle with some constraints and then padded it to create a tube. No problems there. I can set the appropriate constraints and pad dimensions, and get exactly what I'm trying to get... essentially a bar.

Where I run into trouble is trying to come up with a way to either copy the first shape, or create new shapes and then position them so they are placed in a radial fashion on a horizontal plane. Think spokes on a bicycle wheel. I can successfully duplicate the pad and sketch and move it about with position. Unfortunately, changing the rotation causes the part to move on the wrong axis.

Suggestions? Enough info to help?

Thanks!
Steve
Last edited by docsnappy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Radial arrangement of shapes

Post by NormandC »

Hello Steve,

Welcome here. Unfortunately I can't go over your questions ATM but wanted to comment this:
docsnappy wrote:OS: Windows 7
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3389
You are using an obsolete development version of FreeCAD. The current stable release was published last month. If your Windows 7 is 64-Bit, installing the x64 version is recommended.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7032
docsnappy

Post by docsnappy »

Oooh goody! A new version. I didn't think to check that. I don't think that's going to solve my dilemma, but until someone comes up with a suggestion, I will go work on upgrading. Thanks for the info!
docsnappy

Post by docsnappy »

So, as suggested, I've upgraded to the latest stable release:

Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3700 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: 32f5aae0a64333ec8d5d160dbc46e690510c8fe1
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Hi Steve. Can you post the file your having problems with. It will make it easier to provide the exact instructions to resolve your problem.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

If your copies have to be identical to the first, I would say that the Draft Array tool in polar mode would be most suited. This will create a single group of shapes (in FreeCAD terminology, a compound) labeled Array. I believe you can move the Array independantly of the original Pad.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:If your copies have to be identical to the first, I would say that the Draft Array tool in polar mode would be most suited. This will create a single group of shapes (in FreeCAD terminology, a compound) labeled Array. I believe you can move the Array independantly of the original Pad.
Yes, you most certainly can move a Draft > Array independently, and with any of the tools designed for such purposes - Edit > Placement, Draft > Move, Edit > Alignment. They all work.

Depending on just what is needed, he could also use the Polar pattern feature of the Part Design Workbench. Being that his description includes a "pipe", a helper sketch and pad may be needed to provide a face to map the spoke sketch to... Though without seeing the file and knowing what Steve has in mind for the final product, it's hard to tell.

Mark.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi Steve, if you use the draft array, afterwards you'll need to change the type to Polar and change the axis to your liking. Here are 4 different arrays, each created from a clone of the gray cylinder. So if you change the length of Pad, or change the diameter of Sketch, all the others change too. It still would be best if you could upload the file you're having trouble with though.
50140825b_docsnappy.png
50140825b_docsnappy.png (44.19 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
Attachments
20140825b_docsnappy.fcstd
(26.07 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
docsnappy

Post by docsnappy »

Wowza! I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks to everyone that responded.

I was reluctant to try to upload the file for two reasons. the first being that since I couldn't even get it close to what I wanted, it wouldn't have been useful as a tool to explain what I was trying to do. The second being that there was so much other crap in it, I wasn't sure it would be worth the trouble to pare it down to just a couple of elements... although I would have if answers hadn't come in quite such spectacular fashion.

All of you have provided a pointer in the right direction and as they are features I don't know how to use, I will have to go learn them. That, I have no problem with. I just simply needed a point in the right direction.

The sample provided by bejant shows EXACTLY what I'm trying to do, specifically by the yellow clones of the gray cylinder. Awesome!

Hopefully I can figure it out from here. Thanks again everyone!
Steve
docsnappy

Re: Radial arrangement of shapes (solved!)

Post by docsnappy »

One last follow up to say thanks again for all that responded. The help is most appreciated. I've edited the post to reflect (solved) so as to close the discussion.

If you're following along or stumble on this later, my solution for this particular task was

1. create a sketch of a circle with a diameter constraint matching the requirement for the bar I needed. In particular, the sketch was on the XY axis
2. pad the sketch to the desired length. This of course results in a vertical bar. I then changed the Z position for the radial offset I would need later (I struggled with where the offset needed to be incorporated)
3. Switch to the draft workbench, select the bar and create an array with the draft array button. Make the array type polar. Changing the angle to 90 got my bars horizontal and at the correct distance from center because of the z position above. Number polar set to the number of bars needed. 12 in my case. Adjust the axis for correct position. I ended up with base axis y=1, draft axis x=1. It's not clear to me why the axises are not the same in each case, but making them the same gave me a rotation on the wrong plane. Interval XYZ and Number XYZ I left at the defaults. Changing them had no effect and I suspect probably just apply to an ortho array.

That got me where I needed to be. Hope it helps someone else. Thanks again to those that contributed to the thread.

Steve