Help on designing Fuselage

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
h.dale

Re: Help on designing Fuselage

Post by h.dale »

normandc I downloaded your fuselage example but I am unclear on how you created the edges. What would help me is the sequence of your operations and the workbench you used. Is lofting the next step after the creating the sketches?
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Help on designing Fuselage

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

Actually I only modified pinkbigpig's original file. But basically the steps to reproduce are:
  1. Create 2D geometry. You can either use the Draft Workbench or the Sketcher Workbench. You may find working with Draft objects easier for simple shapes (circle, rectangle, polygon).
  2. You need at least two separate 2D profiles to create a loft, and they should not lie on the same plane, or you won't get a valid solid.
  3. Then you can switch to the Part workbench and click on the Image Part Loft tool. In the Tasks pane, two columns will be shown. The left one will list the available profiles to be used. Select one of them and click on the right arrow to switch it to the right column, which lists the profiles to be used. If you have more than 2 profiles, it is important to sort the profiles to be lofted in order. You cannot list the first, then third then second profile, because that's the order the Loft tool will try to follow, and the loft would intersect itself.
  4. Tick the "Make solid" checkbox. To produce a valid solid, all your profiles need to be closed.