like to know how to assemble parts created in Parts Workbenc

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
softlab

Re: like to know how to assemble parts created in Parts Work

Post by softlab »

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have a file named Enclosure_Top.fcstd. I have created this "Enclosure" under Parts Workbench using cubes and other primitive shapes. Do I need to export all cuts & fillets (which contains various shapes) individually? If I export all the cuts and & fillets individually, do I need to re-aligning (positioning) the placements in the external editor again?

thank you.
pmk
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

softlab wrote:Do I need to export all cuts & fillets (which contains various shapes) individually?
Export, for what purpose?

You just select the last point in your modelling history, and export that, if you want to export your model. All the rest are just things used by FreeCAD for the construction of your end result, normally they would be irrelevant for the export, you would just export the end result.
softlab

Post by softlab »

quick61 wrote:Hello pmk, welcome to FreeCAD and the Forum. If I am reading your post correctly, I think what your looking for is collision testing? If so, FreeCAD does not do that, (yet?). Even with the experimental assembly branch, it only aligns and constrains the last I looked. If your just wanting to align parts, that can be easily done. You can use the parts themselves, with some limitations inherent with method of construction, or use Part > Simple Copy, Draft > Clone, or export to a format like .step or .iges.

A good starting point might be a video I did on aligning parts in FreeCAD. Using existing tools within FreeCAD, a user can align many parts into an "assembly", though none of the parts are constrained nor is there any collision checking for fit.

Any more questions, please ask.

Mark
Done.

Great ! thank you Mark.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Sure thing. Don't hesitate to ask when the next question comes up.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?