flickering 3d display

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sigma

flickering 3d display

Post by sigma »

Nice to be here. Thanks
my object view keeps switching between plain white and 3d work space ( or view area)
if i press space bar the object will flash and then revert to all white.
if i move mouse the two conditions will strobe or flicker. from one to the other.
Blender is stable. i just installed new driver for the imbeded video which is radon hd 3300, i only use one screen
i suspect there is some setting that i am missing?
i looked for a self test but it is beyound me at this time.
Cpu is amd Phenom x4, software is regurly updated.

Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3702 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: b3368125c63289ec8ce9faec2b2ae4c78d436406
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0

Thanks in advance,
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: flickering 3d display

Post by jmaustpc »

sigma wrote: i just installed new driver for the imbeded video which is radon hd 3300,
Yes, but which one? There are two completely different families of driver for your GPU. One is opensource and the other proprietary. If one has issues then try the other. I think you will find that your GPU has been dropped from the proprietary driver...the one offered by the Ubuntu driver utility will be an old one that still contains support for your "according to AMD" "old obsolete" GPU....whereas the opensource support should be good on you vintage of card.

So in summary which ever one you are using...try the other and see if the issue goes away.

Jim
sigma

Post by sigma »

jmaustpc wrote:
sigma wrote: i just installed new driver for the imbeded video which is radon hd 3300,
Yes, but which one? There are two completely different families of driver for your GPU. One is opensource and the other proprietary. If one has issues then try the other. I think you will find that your GPU has been dropped from the proprietary driver...the one offered by the Ubuntu driver utility will be an old one that still contains support for your "according to AMD" "old obsolete" GPU....whereas the opensource support should be good on you vintage of card.

So in summary which ever one you are using...try the other and see if the issue goes away.

Jim

Thanks Jim
i instaled the propiretery driver the one from ubuntu wolden't work with blender or freecad, also i should mention when starting freecad the splash screen is only about 2.5 x 4 inches i don't know if this is significant.
i will look for other drivers. may be i need a grafics card?
Thanks, sigma
sigma

Post by sigma »

problems wint away when i installed NVida geforce 7300 LE and propriatary driver.
freecad is now much more functional also none of the commands are greayed out .
looking good here now. Thanks, sigma
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sigma wrote:i instaled the propiretery driver the one from ubuntu wolden't work with blender or freecad
But did you ever try the open source drivers with the Radeon hd3300 card? With that vintage of card I would guess that the opensource drivers would work best rather than the now out of date proprietary drivers.

Jim
sigma

Post by sigma »

i thought that i did but since i am so in proficent mabe not. ?
when i upgraded to 12.04 from 10.?4 the install chose driver. ( is this the open-source driver ? ) had problems with both freecad
and blender both were no go.

then tryed a driver from AMD an Emacs script if you want the file name i can provide. this seemed to work with blender but
freecad had the flickering and now i see it had other problems.

since i am very serious about CAD i am saving my money for a good card. i don't want to start trouble or the like but can't find any recomendations. do you have openion about a good card for freecad?

Thanks in advance, sigma
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sigma wrote:then tryed a driver from AMD an Emacs script if you want the file name i can provide.
Perhaps that is where you went wrong? I think you mean that you downloaded the generic Linux driver from AMD and installed it in a terminal (command line...sort of like DOS)...

Ubuntu has a special application for controlling these drivers...I have Kubuntu but you will find standard Ubuntu has something similar.....its called driver manager and will be in your system settings I think..this is what it looks like in KDE with Kubuntu
drivermanagerubuntu.jpg
drivermanagerubuntu.jpg (88.09 KiB) Viewed 2084 times

and this is it running....it searches for a while first then you will see something like this, except I have a Nvidia GPU so it finds all the Nvidia relevant drivers, for you it would have found AMD/ATI drivers.

There is a couple or more choices of proprietary driver versions and at the bottom is the open source driver...for me it is nouveau driver as that is the open source Nvidia driver project.
drivermanagerubuntu1.jpg
drivermanagerubuntu1.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
sigma

Post by sigma »

Thanks ; Jim
OK yes i just updated my driver again this morning and using the (driver manigar vary similar icon in ubuntu)
now have recommended driver.

i am on to the next step which is learning freecad , my back ground with cad is first CAD-Key then Solid Works, both at work.

i am very excited about freecad because of its program ability.

Thanks again, Sigma