Cutting Out Simple Shapes & Lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SpaceCat

Cutting Out Simple Shapes & Lines

Post by SpaceCat »

Hi folks,

Just started with the excellent FreeCad. I have created a rectangle which is 150mm x 100mm x 1mm thick. All I want to do at this point, is to cut basic shaped holes out of it. Smaller rectangles, squares, slots etc.

Many thanks. :geek:
ediloren

Re: Cutting Out Simple Shapes & Lines

Post by ediloren »

I must really urge you to read the IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help topic before asking this kind of basic questions. There is plenty of tutorials, and while getting started with FreeCAD might prove at the beginning a bit challenging, it is not really so hard.

Enrico
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi welcome here
on little video 01 Intro to FreeCAD's Part Design Workbench Part 1 after 02, 03 ....
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

I see mario52 posted while I was typing. :) He mentions the videos too. Worth a good look.
SpaceCat wrote:Hi folks,

Just started with the excellent FreeCad. I have created a rectangle which is 150mm x 100mm x 1mm thick. All I want to do at this point, is to cut basic shaped holes out of it. Smaller rectangles, squares, slots etc.

Many thanks. :geek:
Hi SpaceCat, Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

There are several ways to "cut holes" into an object. You have not stated how you created you 150 mm x 100 mm x 1 mm Cube, but providing that it is a solid, (not a shell), and it has planar surfaces, you can use the Part Design Workbench and click on the face you want to place your "cut", or Pocket as referred to in the Part Design Workbench. Once the face has been selected, click on Create new sketch in the Combo View or the New Sketch icon on the toolbar. This will map you sketch to the selected face and you can pick the circle, rectangle, or whatever tool you need to make a closed shape on the face. Once that is done, click OK in the Sketch dialog and then click pocket, set the depth of the cut, and your done.

If your using the Part Workbench, you can select one of the basic shapes, use Edit > Placement to position your new shape, making sure that it passed through the part your wanting to Cut, then FIRST select the part you are wanting to have the hole in, THEN holding down on the [Ctrl] key, select the part that will go the cutting, then select the Boolean Cut icon from the toolbar.

To help you along, One of our noted contributors, bejant has a nice series of videos that can help you get started, you can find them here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuwmvJ ... Z6goNzTxKQ The ones with the 'a' at the end include audio.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
SpaceCat

Post by SpaceCat »

Ah thank you kindly for that!

Seeing pocket, i thought it was for creating depressions of certain depth, and not clean cuts. Makes much more sense now you have explained it.

Many thanks. :lol:
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

SpaceCat wrote:Ah thank you kindly for that!

Seeing pocket, i thought it was for creating depressions of certain depth, and not clean cuts. Makes much more sense now you have explained it.

Many thanks. :lol:
Yes, Pocket will create just that, any depth all the way up to Through all. It's in the Type pull down of the Pocket dialog. Default is Dimension, but you can select other modes with that pull down as well.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?