Mirror a part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kenrinc

Mirror a part

Post by kenrinc »

Searched and found a few hits but wanted to clarify. I just want to make an exact duplicate of my part. If it's a "mirrored" part that's fine. One post suggested going to the Part workbench, "selecting the part" and then choosing Mirror. How does one select the part? :mrgreen: If I don't do anything and hit the mirror button I'm greeted with a dialog to select the feature to mirror. If I select everything I get a mirrored part but in this case some of the features did not carry over (#3 in pic, holes aren't pocketed). Is there something I'm missing?

Ken-
mirroring.jpg
mirroring.jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
quick61
Veteran

Re: Mirror a part

Post by quick61 »

Hi Ken. You only want to select the last feature in the tree to mirror. If your just wanting a copy of the part, you can either use Edit > Duplicate selection, or Edit > Copy or Part > Create simple copy or Draft > Clone. All depending on just what you want. ;) In all cases, You just want to select the last feature in the tree. In your case, that would be Pocket - holes from looking at your screenshot.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

The one thing I did not try :mrgreen: Thanks Mark.

Ken-
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

If the items are to have placement in a regular pattern, e.g. equally spaced in a straight line then you would want a Draft Array, which can be in ortho or polar mode, and you can stack Draft Arrays, so that you can have an array of arrays.
Scalpel78

Post by Scalpel78 »

Is it allowed to create several holes from one sketch like that?

Or is it perhaps creating several pads from one sketch that isn't allowed?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Scalpel78 wrote:Is it allowed to create several holes from one sketch like that?
There is no problem other than this complicates the sketch and adds more degrees of freedom to constrain. If you have many, it's more efficient to make a single circle, pocket it and use a Linear pattern.
Scalpel78 wrote:Or is it perhaps creating several pads from one sketch that isn't allowed?
Yes, that can lead to problems.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Scalpel78 wrote:Is it allowed to create several holes from one sketch like that?

Or is it perhaps creating several pads from one sketch that isn't allowed?
It is possible that you could be confused by the fact that it did not used to be possible a while ago, and you may have seen reference to that somewhere in the forums, which would have been correct back at the time the posts had originally been written. But some time ago the code was extended to allow multiple pocket profiles within one sketch.