Who can tell me kinds of lines and icons mean?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
parkyounchull

Who can tell me kinds of lines and icons mean?

Post by parkyounchull »

Hi, there

I am confused on deffernces within kinds of lines and icons used in freecad. :oops:
I captured a picture freecad screen as below..

May you see incons in Combo View pannel?

First, bule box from SVG file a image format a airfoil shape.. What is this object? What do you call
Second, rectangle+circle icon from creating with 2point line tool in Draft workbench. A simple line
Third, rectangle+circle icon from creating with multiful-point DraftWire(DWwire) tool in Draft workbench. A polyline
Third, a new sketch from Partdesign workbench. It is empty.

What do these icons mean? What do you call?

Is there any list of icons and object summary used in freecad. And how can they be used?

Where can I get them??

I'm waiting for answer

Thanks
quick61
Veteran

Re: Who can tell me kinds of lines and icons mean?

Post by quick61 »

The FreeCAD Wiki page that has a list of all the icons can be found under Artwork

There is also a master page that links to all the Workbenches on the Wiki as well that will explain what each one is and does.

The blue box is a shape, the blue circle/rectangles are Draft elements, the red circle/rectangle is just what it says it is, a Sketch.

Don't try to learn it all at once. Start out with a single workbench, Like Part Design, learn it's basice, then move on to the next, like Part or Draft. FreeCAD is a very complex CAD program. It has different Workbenches that help the user perform diferent tasks, sometimes independently, other times together. Just take it one step at a time and feel free to ask questions.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
FCJM

Post by FCJM »

The list of icons seems to be missing at least some icons.
The attached png
comboview.png
comboview.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
includes some icons I can't find a description for.
I mean the icons for the objects called "Polygon*". I have seen this icon with and without the blue box with a tick mark.
The polygons are invisible and I can't find a way to make them visible. What might the icon mean and what does the tick box stand for?

The FreeCAD documentation doesn't seem to have (or, I haven't been looking at the right places) a description about the details shown in the Tree View (or other views either)?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

If you post your "Help about FreeCAD data" and an example file and explain where the polygons came from (or how you made them), perhaps we could help.
FCJM

Post by FCJM »

Here's the FreeCAD data, and the particular file as an attachment.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4029 (Git) (Packman)
Branch: master
Hash: 6e5fbc74a8ba43fb52f922833b48541239f55aa0
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.1

BUT, I don't think it's worth the effort to try to solve the mystery of the polygons, in fact I don't actually know exactly where (and how) they came from. I did use the polygon tool, that much I do remember...
I'm just starting to learn FreeCAD so the normal functions of the program are still mostly a mystery for me.

But the meaning of the icons would answer one of the questions (leaving approx. 2749 for days to come...) and I can go on the learning path (stumbling on every rock and pebble on it).
Attachments
testing.fcstd
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

The icon next to Polygon is an old icon that should not normally show up when you insert things with the GUI. Generally a blue cube is the default icon you will see in treeview for things that do not have their own icon. By now almost everything has its own icon.
FCJM wrote: in fact I don't actually know exactly where (and how) they came from. I did use the polygon tool, that much I do remember...
There are several GUI polygon tools in different parts of FreeCAD. They all have their uses. To further confuse matters a polygon made from Python (or in OCC terminology) is more like a wire or polyline than a polygon but unlike a wire is it defined by a set of vertices it contains, whereas the wire is defined by the edges it contains.

As far as I can see these appear to be Draft Polygons that have failed for some reason and they should have a different icon. If I force a recompute on my system they all then appear.

If you can repeat the creation of these some how please post here and tell us how you did it.

You are about 100 commits behind master, but if you have installed FreeCAD from Pacman then perhaps no one has updated pacman?

I testes in the version below which is compiled from master a few minutes ago.

If you can repeat the creation of these odd polygons, please tell use how so we can make sure it is not a bug in FreeCAD from Master. :)

Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4138 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: f119e740c87918b103140b66b2316ae96f136b0e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
parkyounchull

Post by parkyounchull »

Hi everyone! thanks a lot for replys.
Your massages are very usefull for me..

Have a nice day!!
FCJM

Post by FCJM »

Yes, the workbench used for creation was Draft.

Now, after shutdown and restart the Tree View looks different (no changes made to the actual file).
New look attached.
comboview_after_restart.png
comboview_after_restart.png (10.89 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
The underlying icon seems to be the same but with colors this time, the blue/white tick mark has changed to an exclamation mark in a purple box (any meaning for this icon?), and the object name is no more grayed out. Another difference to yesterday's session is that now the Property View lets me choose the Display Mode. The Polygons remain still invisible, though.

As far as I remember I made the polygons in following sequence:
-draw a rectangle and an inward offset copy of it in Top View
-switch to Front View
-select Polygon Tool and try to draw. The circle showing the polygon diameter doesn't show up
-think "what??", scratch head, try again, same result
-Ha! The background grid is not showing even though a drawing tool is selected, maybe they were drawn on the XY plane.
-No, nothing seen in any view angle
-notice that SEVEN polygons appeared to the Tree View

Off topic: The "looking angles" (Front, Top, etc.) are called "Views" and the "Info Windows" (Tree, Properties, etc.) are also called "Views". A bit confusing at first, before you get used to it.

Back to the issue:
Now, as I try it again with a new Draft document, everything works as expected.

Further investigation on the original file. Earlier this morning I noticed the Property View "Data" tab (the other tab being called yet another :? "View") gives me diameter 1mm, location 0,0,0 for the Polygons, which definitely was not the size nor location they were drawn at. However, zooming in doesn't show any visible objects. I have closed and restarted FreeCAD a couple times since, and, lo and behold, now they DO appear, at the size and location indicated, and drawn on the XY plane.

Two more snapshots:
The "Unnamed" is the file created this morning and "testing" is the yesterday's file.
original_polygon.png
original_polygon.png (45.44 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
new_polygon.png
new_polygon.png (47.18 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Here, the original polygons are missing the section "Draft" in the View Property listing. Something to do with the issue?

BTW, is the white tick mark on blue background (a circle, I now see) an indication of an object having modifications made in the properties list boxes but not actually applied yet?
UPDATE: Tick mark figured out (the text in lower left corner of FreeCAD window gives a hint)

To make things even more complicated:
Yesterday morning I did install some minor upgrade, system related files also but nothing directly related to FreeCAD (if I can tell), and did not reboot. So, when creating the original file I may have had some upgrades installed but not in affect yet.:(
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

It sounds like you had your Draft Working plane set for the first rectangles, then changed the view to a different plane but still had the Draft working plane set to the first plane. Then when you try to draw the polygon you would have got weird invalid input and Draft Polygon might have gone crazy :-)

You might have got an error at the time flash up at the bottom margin of the FreeCAD window but not noticed it, if you go into the FreeCAD preference there are two tick boxes to redirect error and Python messages to "report View". If you tick those boxes and then turn report on, you will get errors and messages in the report view window that will remain until you manually remove them.

If you go into the Draft WB and then go to preferences, you will see that there is a default value for Draft working plane. But this can be changes every time you use a Draft tool.

The other thing that could have happened is, did you have all you snap types enabled? If yes, then probably an inappropriate snap type operated while you were creating the Draft Polygon.
FCJM

Post by FCJM »

I'm not sure, but I think the working plane setting ("Set/unset a working plane" button in the toolbar) was set to the default "None", and I changed the view, using the View Toolbar buttons, from Top View to Front View.
At least when working plane is set to "None" the object seems to be created using the plane being viewed at the time. There's also another setting, "View", which I would guess to do approximately the same (not tested yet).
However, setting the Working Plane and View deliberately to conflict with each other does give similar symptoms to what I saw when creating the "mystery polygons". Considering this, you're probably right.
I do (and did) have both Report View and Python Console open but haven't learned the habit of watching them so there may have been a lot of error messages gone unnoticed.

The Draft WB workplane default is set to "None", probably the "Factory" default, I haven't changed it.

All snap types were enabled, but I don't remember if I saw any snap indicators.

All in all, looks like this was the conflict between work plane and view plane and my memory of Working Plane=None is wrong.

Quote from my earlier message (see original_polygon.png):
"Here, the original polygons are missing the section "Draft" in the View Property listing."
Is this normal behavior?

UPDATE:
Drifting away from the original issue I forgot the mystery icon:
iconx2.png
iconx2.png (376 Bytes) Viewed 3905 times
I can't find it on the "Artwork" page. The meaning might help me try to understand the behavior of these objects.

About the behavior:
Meanwhile I upgraded FreeCAD, and now the polygons are invisible again. (?!)