Help with Arch Tutorial

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lumaja

Help with Arch Tutorial

Post by Lumaja »

Freecad ver. 0.15

Learning Freecad with Arch Tutorial, download Teigha File Converter installed and house Of Vilanova Artigas unziped.
Apologise for my ignorance on following.
On Preparation there is a entry “If you have the Teigha converter installed (and its path set in the Arch preferences settings)”. Where do I set the settings?
Starting Teigha on Input Folder going into the folder where is “segunda casa vilanova artigas.dwg”
the files are shaded and unrecognised by Teigha I think the reason is in Input files filter are DWG my
file is dwg, how do I change this.
Thank you
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Help with Arch Tutorial

Post by jmaustpc »

Lumaja wrote:Where do I set the settings?
First you have to start the relevant workbench, then go to the edit menu,....preferences..

then you will see options for that workbench.

In this case you need to either start the Draft or Arch wb before you will see these settings in the picture below...
archdxfdwgsettings.jpg
archdxfdwgsettings.jpg (74.79 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
Lumaja wrote:Starting Teigha on Input Folder going into the folder where is “segunda casa vilanova artigas.dwg”
the files are shaded and unrecognised by Teigha I think the reason is in Input files filter are DWG my
I don't know what the problem is in this case, however some tips....

Teigha DXF and DWG are all garbage, proprietary, limited or crap one way or another,...you should only use them when you have no other choice.... Teigha works by converting to from DWG to DXF and then FreeCAD attempts to import the DXF, I have found it to be very limited in what it can convert. Simple 2d drawings seem to work but that's about all.

You might also get problems if your path or file name has non-ASCII characters. I don't know if that is an issue here or not.
Lumaja

Post by Lumaja »

Thank you for your help.
Went to look in Arch Workbench Preferences Import/Export DXF/DWG Path to Teigha Converter Dim
The file is not there.
My Teigha is on Ubuntu Dash Home and I can open it, don’t know where is the file.
I want carry on learning this application if as you wrote the Teigha is rubbish can your please help how to learn Freecad.
I read on web page should supply you with the version off Freecad.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4134 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 28d1bf5ed9aa7acf558e9c4d05c67e146fb34cd4
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.7.1
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Lumaja wrote:Went to look in Arch Workbench Preferences Import/Export DXF/DWG Path to Teigha Converter Dim
The file is not there.
My Teigha is on Ubuntu Dash Home and I can open it, don’t know where is the file.
Greetings Lumaja, for me it's: /usr/bin/TeighaFileConverter
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Normally, on linux, Freecad is able to find the Teigha Converter automatically, even if the path is not set... This is because it is always at the same location, which is not the case on other platforms. Indeed the path bejant says should be the right one.
mtaddei

Post by mtaddei »

jmaustpc wrote:
Lumaja wrote:Where do I set the settings?
First you have to start the relevant workbench, then go to the edit menu,....preferences..

then you will see options for that workbench.

In this case you need to either start the Draft or Arch wb before you will see these settings in the picture below...
archdxfdwgsettings.jpg
Lumaja wrote:Starting Teigha on Input Folder going into the folder where is “segunda casa vilanova artigas.dwg”

I don't know what the problem is in this case, however some tips....

Teigha DXF and DWG are all garbage, proprietary, limited or crap one way or another,...you should only use them when you have no other choice.... Teigha works by converting to from DWG to DXF and then FreeCAD attempts to import the DXF, I have found it to be very limited in what it can convert. Simple 2d drawings seem to work but that's about all.

You might also get problems if your path or file name has non-ASCII characters. I don't know if that is an issue here or not.
Ciao to all,
downloaded the teigha converter, now in which directory i must place it?,
these are my fc details:
Word size: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3700 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: 32f5aae0a64333ec8d5d160dbc46e690510c8fe1
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1

When i'm opening the preferences in my menu whichever wb i'm using i don't find all the option as per your picture :o :o :o ,
could you pls help me, advising which is the relevant wb (arch???) and all usefull info i may need???
Tnks in advance
Max
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

BTW: could you please check more carefully if the quotes in posts are necessary.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

mtaddei wrote:Ciao to all,
downloaded the teigha converter, now in which directory i must place it?,
these are my fc details:
In XP you can place it wherever you like, as long as that folder is accessible to you. Then set the path to it as described (kind of) below.
mtaddei wrote:When i'm opening the preferences in my menu whichever wb i'm using i don't find all the option as per your picture :o :o :o ,
could you pls help me, advising which is the relevant wb (arch???) and all usefull info i may need
I think in your FreeCAD version you need to change to the Draft WB, then Edit > Preferences > Draft (icon in left pane), then click the tabs t the top of the Preferences window to find the correct tab. This will get you close; I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly the correct tab you would select from here.

Edit: here's a screen grab from an older FreeCAD version; it may be closer you what you're using:

jmh

Post by jmh »

Lumaja wrote:My Teigha is on Ubuntu Dash Home and I can open it, don’t know where is the file.
Lumaja, not sure if you're still looking for the converter file or not. If you are, you might try using "which" to locate it. Open a console window and then type "which TeighaFileConverter" and that should show the location for the file.

John