converting a draft to 3D

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ledwardsii

converting a draft to 3D

Post by ledwardsii »

I'm new to freecad and would like to know if you can convert a draft work bench to a 3D parts work bench?

Thank you Louis

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4165 (Git) (Packman)
Branch: master
Hash: 8d8c727ac57b93c2b61c1bd32450971b7a346ac9
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 3.1.3
jmh

Re: converting a draft to 3D

Post by jmh »

ledwardsii wrote:I'm new to freecad and would like to know if you can convert a draft work bench to a 3D parts work bench?
I'm not sure I'm following your question -- I'm also new to FreeCAD.

If your asking if you can design something in the Draft WB then change to the Part Design or Part WB and create solids from the drafts then yes. If you really want to conver the draft WB into a 3D Part WB probably not just use the Part or Part Design WB. Might help if you explain a bit more about what you are trying to get done, and maybe even share the file.

Welcome to FreeCAD!

I suspect with a bit clearer question the experience people in the forum will be jimping in with good advice and solutions.

John
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Welcome here Louis.
jmh wrote:I suspect with a bit clearer question the experience people in the forum will be jimping in with good advice and solution
I confess that I don't understand Louis' question.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Welcome Louis, just a little addition here to the answer jmh (John) gave. If you have some 2D geometry that you created in the Draft WB, and want to change it into a Part Design / Sketcher WB Sketch (or vice-versa) you can use the Draft WB > Bi-Directionally Convert Tool:
jmh wrote:Might help if you explain a bit more about what you are trying to get done, and maybe even share the file.
Yes, that would sure help!
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi ledwardsii welcome
if you want to convert 2d to 3d Generate 3D solid from intersection of three imported 2D
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

In a 2d CAD application, all the items similar to the basic FreeCAD Draft wb objects, are 2d, i.e. all on the same plane with no z value.

Whereas in FreeCAD the Draft WB has 2d objects in a 3d environment. So you can simulate a 2d CAD application by giving all of your 2d Draft objects the same (presumably 0) z value (you can set any plane as a working plane in FreeCAD). However all objects do have 3d placement and properties. The advanced FreeCAD Draft WB tools, like Draft Clone or Draft Array, can be applied to 2d draft objects like DLines but also can be applied to a 3d solid. So Draft Clone can be used to make linked copies of original solids....e.g. like a Part WB Cube for example.