How Do I Adjust the Scale in the Draft Module?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jhasler

How Do I Adjust the Scale in the Draft Module?

Post by jhasler »

THe maximum size for an object seems to be about 4" by 4". How do I change that?
jhasler

Re: How Do I Adjust the Scale in the Draft Module?

Post by jhasler »

I'm using FreeCAD 0.14 revision 3702.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jhasler wrote:THe maximum size for an object seems to be about 4" by 4". How do I change that?
Hello jhasler, Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

You can make an object any size you wish. If the object is to large for your screen, just zoom out. Your part can be miles and kilometers and miles again large, it makes no matter to FreeCAD. If your talking about the Draft grid, that can be set in Edit > Preferences under Draft which can be accessed after you load the Draft Workbench. Sketcher grid will expand automatically to your sketches.

Does this answer your question?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jhasler

Post by jhasler »

> You can make an object any size you wish. If the object is to large for your screen, just zoom
> out. Your part can be miles and kilometers and miles again large, it makes no matter to
> FreeCAD.

Yes, but the grid shrinks to a dot.

> If your talking about the Draft grid, that can be set in Edit > Preferences under Draft which
> can be accessed after you load the Draft Workbench. Sketcher grid will expand
> automatically
> to your sketches.

Do you mean "Grid spacing" under "Snapping settings"? That has no effect that I can see.
jmh

Post by jmh »

jhasler wrote: Do you mean "Grid spacing" under "Snapping settings"? That has no effect that I can see.
jhasler, I think that's just a visual thing. I was testing the preferences on my system just now and after editing things didn't look look noticably different. So I created a new document, go to Draft WB draw a line between two grid lines and then measure it. It's pretty close to what I defined in preferences. Then I changed to perferences and saved them. I think you'll need to restart FC -- I did -- but then the grid spacing is at the new setting.
jhasler

Post by jhasler »

OK, restarting the program seems to work. Apparently the unidentified units in "Snapping settings" is mm despite my preference having been set for US Customary.

"Property View" still shows the grid size as 2mm (.393701") though.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Units was not fully implemented in 14.370X

What operating system are you on? On Linux easy to upgrade on Windows, not so much(Yet)
"fight the good fight"
jhasler

Post by jhasler »

I'm running Debian and using the Debian package.

I'll just ignore the grid and use Imperial units as jumping from inches to decimal fractions of feet and then to decimal fractions of yards is, to put it politely, "odd". Having things dimensioned in thousands of inches is unusual but manageable.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

In FreeCAD 0.14.3703
1) Units was not full implemented, it was in a lot of places but still missing in many....units only converts the GUI to make it easy for humans, FreeCAD always works in mm in its underlying data. This is a feature. If you model something in US customary Units and anyone else in the entire world wants to read it, they will just open the file and see metric units. Nothing gets changed into Imperial it is just that the GUI does the calculations and displays the units converted value for you. If you enter a value with a specified unit, no matter what your Units are set to, FreeCAD will convert it to mm and convert and display it to whatever you set Units to. Hence you can work in imperial but try typing "25.4 mm" in a units enabled input box and you will see FreeCAD convert it into 1 inch for you.
2) Under the Tools menu there is a Units calculator, you can use this to convert to mm, copy and paste, into input boxes where Units has not yet been enabled.
3) it makes no difference to you if the grid is for example 25.4mm or 1 inch, they are the same thing, just the name is different. So where units does not exist just convert to mm and enter that. It really is no big deal, it makes not difference to the data.
4)Draft Grid has one more option in the settings in 0.15 than it did in 0.14 versions, hence is now fully adjustable
5) You have to close and restart FreeCAD to see the changes in Draft Grid
6) if you don't like "US Customary Units" then change to "decimal Imperial" in the Units settings...then units will stay in inches even when they are over a foot or yard.

If you want something different, you can write a new schema for Units, for example display all lengths in Yards only or something else etc.

Regarding FreeCAD versions....there is quite a lot more in 0.15dev now. Any Ubuntu based system I would suggest you use the daily PPA but I don't know if anyone offers anything better than 0.14.3703 for Debian. You certainly can compile FreeCAD on Debian. The first time it takes a while, you have to install a lot of Dev packages and the FreeCAD compile time will take a while the first time only ( between 10 minutes and 1 hour depending on your hardware, most commonly about 40 minutes) but subsequent compiles take much less time.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:If you want something different, you can write a new schema for Units, for example display all lengths in Yards only or something else etc.
Jim, you keep telling that to new users, but omit to mention that this kind of modification requires to recompile the software... Most end users do not compile their software.