from 3D to 2D blueprints

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pa4tim

from 3D to 2D blueprints

Post by pa4tim »

I hope I use the right words/terms. I use freecad to make designs for my 3D printer and after the good help here this is going fine.
I also have a micro-lathe and a micro-mill and I make the blueprints for that kind a work manual with a pencil/rothring on paper.
I am not very good in doing that. I Always end up with stupid faults like holes that cross and I'm not good in mentally transforming 3D in 2D and even worse the other way around.

So I like to make the design first in Freecad, because this is 3D I get better designs with less stupid things. But I can not find how to turn that into a blueprint drawing that has all the views and size/measurement information. I think I'm not the only one with this question but I think I do not find the solutions because I do not know/use the correct terms to search for .

Fred
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: from 3D to 2D blueprints

Post by wandererfan »

Start here: Drawing_Module

There's a major upgrade to this module on the way, but you can produce drawings with the current one (or the Draft drawing tools).

wf
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Hi Fred,

What you want is to use the Drawing Workbench - Drawing Module. It is designed to produce drawings for what your wanting to do. Forum member hamish has a nice little Drawing dimensioning plug in Workbench, (FreeCAD 0.15 development version) that makes it easy to add simple dimensions to your drawing once you have all your views laid out. It's still a work in progress and has a couple of bugs, but is pretty usable as is. It will give you a drawing like this -

You can even customize your own drawing templates following this tutorial - Drawing Template HowTo

Mark

OT - What micro lathe / mill do you have? I'm looking real hard at the Taig lathe and about to pull the trigger on picking one up. So I'll be doing I'll be doing what your wanting to do more often my own self. :)
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Fred,

You've been posting here for a few months but you have never posted your FreeCAD info, like requested in the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" annoucement at the top of this forum.

Please do so, this will allow us to determine if you actually have the latest FreeCAD version. You last posted of using "0.13" on Windows 8 back in May, did you know that v0.14.3700 was released mid-July?

The Drawing dimensioning plug-in Mark mentioned won't work on it or on any older release.
pa4tim

Post by pa4tim »

I have not had time to study the links yet but I will do that.
I use Freecad on several computers. The one I use the most by far is 0.15 3865 (Git) on a Mint 16 Petra 32 bit laptop with 2 LCD screens,
I also have it on a dual boot PC running Ubuntu and Debian, and on a Mint KDE laptop. I do not know the versions without booting them, but probably the same versions as on my mint laptop. And finaly 0.14-3700 on a W8.1 hybrid (laptop/tablet). But with a 10,7" screen that is not very comfortable. I only play a bit with Freecad on that laptop, nice for learning new things.

My lathe is a EMCO Unimat 3 with a lot of accessoires and a Proxxon mill (a set made from a drill/mill stand, mill-motor and XY table) http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=5133 on the bottom you see the latest set-up.
http://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=5020 and here you see some things made with my mini-metal-shop setup. (better parts for my 3D printer)

Fred