Designing geodesic dome

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Designing geodesic dome

Post by ulrich1a »

I made a year ago an update to the macro. Calling the makro lets you set the dome radius.
The updated version gives also drawings for a construction. You can create a strut-frame for a dome construction.

Ulrich
Attachments
geodesic_dome9.py.zip
(12.98 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
janeks

Post by janeks »

The macro is nice. All has worked except when checking Make Strut Drawing - then I got empty solids and empty drawing.
My system:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7554 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9316a1511a5fea14f1affc6738850f57b5b6ac88
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

There could be also some other options:

-> to create triangle blocks ( I guess the thickness would be the same parameter like Strut height )
or
-> in case when there are doubled struts created group them per equal triangles (in such case when building it is handy to use these pattern approach like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJbQMi0XW0)

-> to create single struts (in current version there are doubled only)

But my question in my previous post was - is it possible to set geodetic parameters from FreeCad and also use them in FreeCad constraints?

BTW: what would be good starting point/tutorials to start my own macros creating?
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

janeks wrote:But my question in my previous post was - is it possible to set geodetic parameters from FreeCad and also use them in FreeCad constraints?
If you are satiesfied with a simple icosahedron, then there exist an parametric model of it. The geodesic dome is actually a static object created from a macro. In order to make it parametric, it would be necessary to write something like a viewprovider for it, which should expose the dome radius as a variable parameter. But unfortunately I have actually no time to work on it. If remember right, the macro has a python class, that creates the dome with the radius as parameter. So it is at least possible to make a new dome with just a call to a python class.
janeks wrote:BTW: what would be good starting point/tutorials to start my own macros creating?
I started myself with the FreeCAD-documentation here: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... _scripting

Ulrich
haganhasolari

Post by haganhasolari »

what software do you use to draw out domes like the ones you showed or domes like these
www.ecodome.co.il
no spam intended it's just a website I came upon