libtool compiling against the wrong library?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pwschuck

libtool compiling against the wrong library?

Post by pwschuck »

Hi ,

I successfully compiled FreeCAD last night on my laptop.
This morning I tried to compile it on my workstation and I ran into an issue:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/Gui'
/bin/sh ../../../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -D_OCC64 -Wno-deprecated -frtti -L../../../Base -L../../../App -L../../../Gui -L../../Part/App -L../App -L/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/ -lQtCore -lQtGui -lQt3Support -lQtNetwork -lQtOpenGL -lQtSvg -lQtXml -lX11 -lXext -lXmu -lXt -lXi -lGL -lGLU -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -version-info 2:0:0 -lpthread -o libDrawingGui.la -rpath /opt/FreeCAD/Mod/Drawing libDrawingGui_la-AppDrawingGuiPy.lo libDrawingGui_la-Command.lo libDrawingGui_la-DrawingView.lo libDrawingGui_la-PreCompiled.lo libDrawingGui_la-ViewProviderPage.lo libDrawingGui_la-ViewProviderView.lo libDrawingGui_la-Workbench.lo -lboost_system-mt -lpython2.6 -lxerces-c -lFreeCADBase -lFreeCADApp -lFreeCADGui -lPart -lDrawing
libtool: link: g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../lib64/crti.o /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/crtbeginS.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-AppDrawingGuiPy.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-Command.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-DrawingView.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-PreCompiled.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-ViewProviderPage.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-ViewProviderView.o .libs/libDrawingGui_la-Workbench.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Gui/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/App/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Part/App/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/App/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Base/.libs -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/FreeCAD/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/FreeCAD/Mod/Drawing -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/FreeCAD/Mod/Part -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Part/App/.libs -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/App/.libs -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Base/.libs -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Base -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/App -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Gui -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Part/App -L/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/App -L/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/ -L/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQt3Support.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtOpenGL.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtSvg.so -lgobject-2.0 -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so /usr/lib/libxcb.so -L/usr/lib64 /home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Gui/.libs/libFreeCADGui.so -L/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/make /usr/lib64/libQtSvg.so /usr/lib64/libSoQt.so /usr/lib/libXi.so /usr/lib64/libQtOpenGL.so -lGLU /usr/lib64/libQt3Support.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtSql.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtXml.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtGui.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtNetwork.so /usr/lib64/libQtSql.so /usr/lib64/libQtXml.so /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so /usr/lib/libXrender.so /usr/lib/libXrandr.so /usr/lib/libXfixes.so /usr/lib/libXcursor.so /usr/lib/libXinerama.so /usr/lib/libXext.so /usr/lib/libX11.so -lpng /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so /usr/lib64/libXrandr.so /usr/lib64/libXcursor.so /usr/lib64/libXrender.so /usr/lib64/libXfixes.so /usr/lib64/libXinerama.so -lfontconfig /usr/lib64/libQtNetwork.so /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/libQtCore.so /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 /usr/lib64/libXmu.so /usr/lib64/libXt.so /usr/lib64/libXi.so /usr/lib64/libCoin.so -lGL /usr/lib64/libXext.so /usr/lib64/libSM.so -luuid -lICE /usr/lib64/libX11.so /usr/lib64/libxcb-xlib.so /usr/lib64/libxcb.so -lXau -ldl -lQtUiTools -L/usr/X11R6/lib /home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/App/.libs/libDrawing.so -lboost_regex-mt /home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Part/App/.libs/libPart.so /home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/App/.libs/libFreeCADApp.so -lboost_program_options-mt -lboost_signals-mt /home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Base/.libs/libFreeCADBase.so -lpthread -lboost_filesystem-mt -lboost_system-mt -lz -lpython2.6 -lxerces-c -lTKFillet -lTKMesh -lTKernel -lTKG2d -lTKG3d -lTKMath -lTKSTEP -lTKIGES -lTKSTL -lTKShHealing -lTKXSBase -lTKBool -lTKBO -lTKBRep -lTKTopAlgo -lTKGeomAlgo -lTKGeomBase -lTKOffset -lTKPrim -lTKHLR -L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3 -L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../lib64 -L/lib/../lib64 -L/usr/lib/../lib64 -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/mkl/lib/em64t -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/lib/intel64 -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/ipp/em64t/lib -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/tbb/em64t/cc4.1.0_libc2.4_kernel2.6.16.21/lib -L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/lib -L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -lc -lgcc_s /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/crtendS.o /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../lib64/crtn.o -pthread -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libDrawingGui.so.2 -o .libs/libDrawingGui.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libDrawingGui.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/Gui'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/schuck/downloads/freecad/src/Mod/Drawing/Gui'
make: *** [all] Error 2

libtool is linking against libxcb-xlib.so in /usr/lib/ Shouldn't it link against /usr/lib64? or is it some other issue completely.

I'm running SUSE 11.1 with the latest version of KDE.
Linux feynman 2.6.27.25-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-07-01 15:37:09 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- pete
wmayer
Founder

Re: libtool compiling against the wrong library?

Post by wmayer »

HI,

sounds like an issue with the libtool file inside the source tarball. It's probably best to run ./autogen.sh which re-creates the libtool file. It's somewhat strange that this problem appeared quite late in the Drawing module.

Cheers,
Werner
pwschuck

Post by pwschuck »

Werner,

Running autogen does not seem to help. However, it only happens a couple of times and by inserting -L/user/lib64 ahead of -L/user/lib and hand compiling about 4 instances, I was able to compile the rest of the code.

Is there any way to automatically specify look in /usr/lib64 FIRST when I run configure?

Thanks,

-- Pete
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hi Pete,
Is there any way to automatically specify look in /usr/lib64 FIRST when I run configure?
No, I don't think so. I guess the libxcb-xlib.so is introduced by any third party library but no idea which one this could be. To find that out you must open the according .la files of a library. Somewhere there must be listed the wrong path.

Cheers,
Werner
pwschuck

Post by pwschuck »

Werner,

I checked the la files and the provide the correct directory.
I think the bigger problem is that there are two versions a 32 bit in /usr/lib and a 64 bit in /usr/lib64.
So are we back to libtool being the issue?

-- Pete
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hi Pete,

really no idea what the basic problem could be. But I think there is a strange mixture of several libraries. For instance, Qt libs are used from /opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib and /usr/lib64/

With which parameters did you start ./configure?

Cheers,
Werner

Post by Guest »

Werner,

configure command:

./configure CXXFLAGS="-D_OCC64" --prefix=/opt/FreeCAD/ --with-qt4-dir=/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt --with-qt4-lib=/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt/lib/

even with --with-qt4-dir=/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt
it still tried to pull libQtOpenGL.so libQt3Support.so libQtDesignerComponents.so from /usr/lib64 so I simply made symbolic links for these to
/opt/qtsdk-2009.03/qt

Thanks,

-- Pete
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hi,

in case you don't get it working you could give cmake a chance. In our SVN-trunk we're using cmake for the Windows platform which also works on Ubuntu. For Suse you possibly have to do some adjustments.

Cheers,
Werner

Solved!

Post by Guest »

Werner,
I'm not sure why, but configuration apparently thought that the OpenCASCADE libraries were in /usr/lib.
This library happened to be in front of /usr/lib64.
I specified --with-occ-lib=/opt/OpenCASCADE/lib64/ on the configure command line and this solve the problem.
Not sure why configure had the location of the OpenCASCADE libraries wrong though.

Thanks for your help,

-- Pete
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hi Pete,

in our configure step we assume OpenCascade to be in /usr/lib as default if --with-occ-lib is not used. For the Suse distribution does there exist an official OpenCascade package and if yes is the standard location under /usr/lib64?

Nice that it works now.

Cheers,
Werner