looking for developers for extending FreeCAD - freelance/contract

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bxabi

looking for developers for extending FreeCAD - freelance/contract

Post by bxabi »

Hello

We are representing a company building various metal constructions.
After researching the possibilities, the conclusion was FreeCAD can be a good base, a software suite can created on to build and manage their construction structures. We got the go, so the development will be started.

We are looking for software developers who have experience in extending FreeCAD, or in python, Qt, and CAD software.
The improvements in the FreeCAD Workbenches and model editing we would like to keep open source and commit back to the FreeCAD project.
We are hoping to find 2-3 programmers, for 1-2 years development time.
They could work remotely as freelancers (contract based). It is a place where you can bring in creativity to make the building process very user friendly.

The following are the planned tasks. It is not final yet, the points show the general idea of what is needed. Detailed definitions will be designed and written in the next 2-3 months, defining the user actions, screens.

First phase - improving the FreeCAD building tools.
It will probably bring a new Workbench to FreeCAD, and may involve improving existing tools.

- Create grid-like structures from metal profiles, glass and accessories.
- Divide a field
- Delete division
- Change glass and related components
- Break component
- Join 2 components
- Merge 2 components
- Insert sub-assembly into construction
- fast building of pyramid-like structures
- fast building of dome-sphere shaped structures.

Task we may need depending on FreeCAD state in a few months:
- speed up handling of constructions built from thousands of elements
- improving the alignment tools

Second phase - when we see that the builder is working as needed, we can embed it to into a software suite which handles the projects, material lists and orders.

- Client database
- Project database
- Embedding FreeCAD when a model is edited
- Show model previews in the Project database
- Contract cost editing page
- Quotation page
- Material and Accessory database
- Supplier database
- Material and Accessory database
- Material prices database
- Database of accessory relations
- Database of which materials are exchangeable
- Define Material spreadsheet format
- Create material list from the model
- Define material order layout
- Cutting optimization (1D, 2D)
- Module for ordering components

So if you are interested please contact us. The development will start as we get several detailed definitions ready, expected in 2-3 months.
rockn
Veteran

Re: looking for developers for extending FreeCAD - freelance/contract

Post by rockn »

Hello everyone,

I've been in touch with bxabi and the project owner to discuss about this project.
This project will create a new workbench for specific use but it look like it's a good opportunity to improve the Arch workbench in many ways.
This will likelly improve some existing tools like the Arch Axis System and the Arch Components system too and the aim is also to improve the workflow to become more user friendly.

There is a lot of work and we are searching for more developpers. If you know FreeCAD and python or C++ and want to work on it, this is a good opportunity to improve FreeCAD and be paid for that.

We are going to have another talk about the project this Friday, so don't wait to contact bxabi or me.

Cheers.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

I've got some experience with FreeCAD, a bit of experience with C++, and very extensive experience with python. I am interested in this opportunity.
bxabi

Post by bxabi »

ezzieyguywuf wrote:I've got some experience with FreeCAD, a bit of experience with C++, and very extensive experience with python. I am interested in this opportunity.
Hi, nice to hear that you are interested. I will contact you in a few days with more details.
CADeal

Post by CADeal »

Hi , I've got years experiences with CAD /PLM systems( commercial as Creo / Inventor/ Catia / NX ) and also Freecad in hobby projects ( Python macro/ WB customization) . I am interested to find appropriately project to improve FreeCad WB . Meanwhile I also discover possibility to custom integration with OpenPLM ( http://www.openplm.org/ ) project to adapt for few manufacturing company . In case you can use my skill I am looking forward to your detailed requirments .
julianfoad

Post by julianfoad »

Hello. I am interested in this work. My last job was working on the open source Subversion software. I can tell you more about myself in a private message. Please can you tell me more about this work? Thank you.

- Julian Foad
bxabi

Post by bxabi »

Hello,

it is nice to see that our project generated interest in the forum, it looks like we have good chance to put together a good team.

This post can serve as an answer for julianfoad and CADeal, and as a status update.

We have some delay in the software definition, the feedback is coming slower from the customer (future users).
The following times can still shif:.

May/June/July/August - Software definition
Examples of large constructions and std constructions will be part of this.

End August - Programming Planning
- Based on the specification the various modules and parts can be divided to determine who works on what. Guesstimated time lines, milestones etc.
Our priority will be to de-risk as quickly as possible.

Sept./Okt.. onwards - Programming

We will send around detailed definitions as available. When the programming planning phase starts we will contact everybody interested and decide together which parts can be assigned to whom, and put the contracts in place.

Best,
bxabi
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

Hey, just wanted to drop back in and say I'm still interested in helping with this :-)
sps

Post by sps »

Hello,
maybe I'm too late to apply for this job opportunity.

But if not all applications are not full yet, I'd be happy if you consider my skills in this job. I have a great experience in CAD modeling with almost all software like CATIA, Solidworks and less with SolidEdge, Creo, AutoCAD, etc... a good knowledge (but not extensive) of C++, and a base knowledge of Python; plus a strong background in mathematical modeling, etc...

If interested, contact me with a pm
djstkg

Post by djstkg »

Hi,

I might be interested in case still in need. I am a mechanical engineer, know C language, worked with CATIA before, recently discovered FreeCAD.
Scripting: Batch, Perl before, I guess I would come fast into Python scripting.

If interested, please pm me.

Thanks