Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Post by jnxd »

Did anyone get to test the symmetric constraint well enough? How straightforward is the new mode I introduced in the constraint mode (first point -> symmetry point/line -> second point) as opposed to the old one (first point -> second point -> symmetry point/line)? Should I add a commit changing the behavior?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

I just wrapped up the constraint creation mode to the point I intend to (hopefully; barring bugs and clean-up). All but one commands now use the mode, and the following three features are added. I left out Snell's law, but I'm just not sure if its relevant to a majority of users.
jnxd wrote:
  • Make the new mode relevant for external geometries
  • Make the entire mode optional, possibly also put the option in the toolbar
  • Sort out icons for each of the modes (talking with agryson about this)
I did not put the option up in the toolbar, but one can always use the select-then-constraint method to get done quickly.
Continuing to the "nice to have" things.
  • Box selection while in these modes
  • Slightly different selection modes: when a key is pressed, change behavior. For e.g. horizontal/vertical distance constraint directly applies from single point to root, rather than first point to second point.
  • An indicator beyond a changed cursor, for touch-screen users.
The above things are sadly slightly more involved, and I would like to move on to some other issues. I don't know how much I would be able to help, but I would like to look at the performance issues in sketcher and the infamous bugs of partdesign.

Hopefully the features yet implemented are satisfactory to the users, and in case there's an issue with them, I'd be happy to try to correct it.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

jnxd wrote:Did anyone get to test the symmetric constraint well enough? How straightforward is the new mode I introduced in the constraint mode (first point -> symmetry point/line -> second point) as opposed to the old one (first point -> second point -> symmetry point/line)? Should I add a commit changing the behavior?
I don't care much about for which option we decide at the end. But it should be consistent at least. Now the behaviour of old and new mode is different and this should be fixed.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Make the entire mode optional, possibly also put the option in the toolbar
There is a bug. For all the constraint commands the default value of ContinuousConstraintMode is set to false while in the settings it's set to true. I hope it's OK to set it to true by default.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

wmayer wrote:
Make the entire mode optional, possibly also put the option in the toolbar
There is a bug. For all the constraint commands the default value of ContinuousConstraintMode is set to false while in the settings it's set to true. I hope it's OK to set it to true by default.
Oh yes indeed it is. I had set it to true at first, but changed it to false to test a few things. Didn't occur to me to change it back and don't think it'd matter too much.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd! I don't know if you did it, I just guess it was you. I can select geometry really quickly now! It used to clear selection if I selected too fast, and now it doesn't. So whoever that was, thank you :mrgreen: !
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote:jnxd! I don't know if you did it, I just guess it was you. I can select geometry really quickly now! It used to clear selection if I selected too fast, and now it doesn't. So whoever that was, thank you :mrgreen: !
Not sure what you mean, but if I did it, it was just a side effect. Perhaps you used to do select external geometry while in the constraint mode? BTW, are you even talking about constraint mode? And is this all on the touchscreen of yours?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote: BTW, are you even talking about constraint mode? And is this all on the touchscreen of yours?
No. I am still using the "select-select-constraint" workflow. The problem was, if I select-select too quickly, selection is cleared (I guess it has something to do with double-click time). Now it's gone.

Yes I'm on touchscreen.

I just tested on 0.17.8361, which was before your efforts on this I think, and cannot reproduce the problem. So I think it might have been windows update :mrgreen: not you.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote: I just tested on 0.17.8361, which was before your efforts on this I think, and cannot reproduce the problem. So I think it might have been windows update :mrgreen: not you.
Yeah definitely not me.
efyx

Post by efyx »

NormandC wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:06 am Actually it's already available: just add a tangent constraint between two lines.
It stopped working - at least for me. No way to colinear constrain for lines or sides of squares.