UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

Post by triplus »

@kkremitzki

As Pablo said it is easy to remove any potential uncertainty therefore it makes sense to do that.

Pablo take your time. Due to available time i have and the work needed i don't feel there will be any mayor progress in navigation indicator area before weekend anyway. But i feel we are getting there! ;)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi,

A while ago I have launched a pull request with updated icons, let me know if you like them.
I haven't changed Maya one much because it was already a vaguely interpretation of the original logo...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:Hi,

A while ago I have launched a pull request with updated icons, let me know if you like them.
I haven't changed Maya one much because it was already a vaguely interpretation of the original logo...
Hi Pablo.

Yesterday i had no time and didn't check GitHub. The last one is good as for the other two. We aren’t after the logo we just need some geometry to tell them apart. Something like this therefore should do (i spent 1 minute on this and used your last one as a base):
Example.png
Example.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Just make sure they work at 16px. When you will be done update the pull request and i will merge.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi,

I guess your are only talking about Maya one... I have done a pull request with a different "M", I don't think we need to "deconstruct" it more, it's a M character but not the official logo. What do you think?
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

Blender and Maya icons are still trying to follow the geometry of Blender and Maya logos to closely. That is what i would like to be avoided altogether. I know you would like to introduce some sort of associativity with the Blender and Maya logos but forget about that.

Any icon (mouse related or artistic) that works at 16px should do. As long as i won't see Blender or Maya logo in it when i will take a look at it. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

I made some quick mock-ups and i feel i have the Blender one figured out. And i need to further test the Maya one but it looks like ATM it could work. I will merge your pull request and i plan to finish the work on mentioned 2 icons later today. Hopefully that should do it and we can move on. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Icons.png
Icons.png (18.97 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Now we don't use any product logo anymore and there is dedicated icon available for each navigation style. Therefore i consider this task resolved for now. If anybody else wants to further tackle this go ahead. As for the plan from my side:
  • Finish tooltips and try to provide up to date info.
  • Add additional small feature.
I will likely share the results here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=17323

When that is achieved i will consider the work from my side to be done for now. Process for upstreaming the work can start after.
ximpot

Post by ximpot »

The functionality if really nice of your addition.
However, I have the following concern - not about the nice implementation, only about where the Widget is placed.
Widget is placed on a global GUI Element (Status bar). This means the Widget is then represented in a Techdraw or Spreadsheet view. This is however still the same for the different view mode Symbols (TOP, LEFT, RIGHT, etc) I do not think 3d Navigation modes are necessary in 2D modules. I would suggest to add a separate Menu/Icon bar to each 3D view to add your functionality, and also move the different view modes (TOP, LEFT, RIGHT, etc). In addition a separate Icon/Menu Bar in the 3D view also saves space in the Global GUI...??
Attachments
frame_Layout.png
frame_Layout.png (135.77 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »