UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: UI improvement proposal: mouse navigation indicator

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:
triplus wrote:If the icon from the image above would be provided i would use it.
As I said it really looks bad. It's too detailed to display in very small size. I was thinking of removing the "wheel" and only keep the two buttons. I'm also not sure about it being fully black. It was really just a quick hack to show my proposal.
Thanks.

It doesn't look bad on the image above but when i tried to use it it was further shrank an it didn’t look good. Therefore as i had solid base i removed all the filling and used only the outer contour:
SampleContour.png
SampleContour.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
This i guess could work out?

P.S. Anyway this is still open for suggestions and all can change. I will work on it again the day after tomorrow.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The unfilled icon looks much better than my original filled one. Showing the wheel rather than the two buttons works well too.

Edit: forgot to type word "well"...
Last edited by NormandC on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK i will use the outline one then.

I need to clean up the code and i would like to find some sensible way to start QTimer. If i won't find it functionality that sync the setting between navigation menu and navigation indicator won't be part of the first release. That is changing the setting in navigation menu won't be reflected in navigation indicator.

P.S. This thread can still be moved to Python scripting and macro forum section instead of creating new one once the code will be ready for the first release.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'd prefer that this topic stay in the Open discussion forum. I'm hoping this feature be merged in master at some point, either through your python code or a C++ implementation. If there are any further discussions in that regard, the Open discussion forum should remain the best place for this topic.

Thanks.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes that actually makes sense.

Anyway i decided i will leave QTimer thingy out of the first release scope and try to do the first release tomorrow. After i will likely leave it as it is for a while to see how things will evolve.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

First release is available:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17323#p136553
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Already tested, and posted screen captures in the release topic. I have to say I'm happy with it. I'll run it for a while to see if any bug creeps up, but after testing it for about 5 minutes, so far so good.

Edit: why not add the captures here too. :D

Hovering with the mouse cursor reveals the button's contour:

Clicking on the button:

And it works well while in Sketch editing mode, which can be a big benefit IMO.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

This looks good.
One little idea that could further increase the usefullness.
The tooltip on hovering could show how the currently set Navigation Mode works, eg:

Rotation: left Mouse
Pan: ...
Selection: ....

Than it would allow fast orientation in the Navigation Mode right after fast switching.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

+1 to @ickby's idea about the tooltip

Just trying to help and polish the icon: I have adjusted the 64x64 pixel design to be a "pixel perfect design" and reduced the wheel size a bit (I find the proposed one too large). Additionally I have played with another icon with buttons, which I find to be better identified as a mouse, tell me what do you think:
mouse-symbols.png
mouse-symbols.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
mouse-symbols_demo.png
mouse-symbols_demo.png (34.14 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
If you feel like trying them out just change the svg code from InitGui.py file:
Mouse with wheel:

Code: Select all

icon = """<svg xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="64" width="64">
                <path d="m 25,5 c -4.986,0 -9,4.014 -9,9 l 0,29 c 0,8.864 7.136,16 16,16 8.864,0 16,-7.136 16,-16 L 48,14 C 48,9.014 43.986,5 39,5 L 25,5 Z" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="6" fill="none" />
                <path d="m 32,14 0,8" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="6" fill="none" />
        </svg>"""
Mouse with buttons

Code: Select all

icon = """<svg xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="64" width="64">
                <path d="m 25,5 c -4.986,0 -9,4.014 -9,9 l 0,29 c 0,8.864 7.136,16 16,16 8.864,0 16,-7.136 16,-16 L 48,14 C 48,9.014 43.986,5 39,5 L 25,5 Z" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="6" fill="none"/>
                <path d="m 16,23 32,0" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="2" fill="none"/>
                <path d="M 32,23 32,5" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="2" fill="none"/>
           </svg>"""
Finally you can find attached to this email the svg designs in case you think you can improve them even more :D
Attachments
mouse-symbol_buttons.svg
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
mouse-symbol_wheel.svg
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ickby wrote:This looks good.
One little idea that could further increase the usefullness.
The tooltip on hovering could show how the currently set Navigation Mode works, eg:

Rotation: left Mouse
Pan: ...
Selection: ....
Indeed more verbose tooltip information could make sense. Will add it in the future.
pablogil wrote:Just trying to help and polish the icon: I have adjusted the 64x64 pixel design to be a "pixel perfect design" and reduced the wheel size a bit (I find the proposed one too large). Additionally I have played with another icon with buttons, which I find to be better identified as a mouse, tell me what do you think:
I will use pixel perfect one as it adds additional value to the existing one. And i guess for example Touchpad navigation style could have Touchpad like icon instead...

P.S. This week i will have roughly 3 days when some free time will be available to work on FreeCAD related projects. Current priority is to get first release of ShortCuts out. If anybody has some good ideas on the tooltip information provided don't hesitate to attach .txt file with the contribution. I am guessing this is the place to look first:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ouse_Model