Icons needed for dressups [Path Workbench]

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Icons needed for dressups [Path Workbench]

Post by agryson »

@mlampert mentioned in this forum post that new icons were needed for the Path workbench. At the time, we didn't have a good place to leave information for later so he kindly created this ticket on my github fork (which I'll be using to personally keep track of things)

Here is the list (provided by @mlampert, formatting mine) of icons needed, with description and supplementary information:
mlampert wrote: Dogbone
Dogbones and T-Bones are little extra cutouts one has to make if a corner needs to fit another part.
A concise and graphical description can be found here.

Dragknife
A dragknife is a special tool that requires modifying the path. The best description is really sliptonic's video

Entry Method
Some tools cannot cut "downwards", meaning in order to change the depth one has to lower the tool in an angle. This can be either straight along the actual path or in the form of a helix that spirals down to the desired depth and then follows the path again.

Holding Tags
Holding tags are just that, little bridges left when cutting out a part in order to hold it in place and prevent it from flying right in my face (and getting wrecked in the process of doing so). While they could have any shape the simplest forms are rectangular, trapezoidal and triangular.

Dressups
Now that I think about it it would be great to have an icon for dressups in general. A dressup is a modification of an existing path. Of the above dressups "Entry Method" is probably the only that makes sense for any path. The other 3 are really only useful for Contour and Profile.
Anyone have any ideas? It would be great to start building up some material to handle these.
agryson

Re: Icons needed for dressups [Path Workbench]

Post by agryson »

Note, some work was already done on a Helix entry method icon and could be used as inspiration.
Path-Helix_64.png
Path-Helix_64.png (4.63 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
cox

Post by cox »

Spectacle.Qb7546.png
Spectacle.Qb7546.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Brainstorming?
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
bill

Post by bill »

Here is a submission possibility for DressUp(s) in general; tag, dogbone, dragknife, etc. Non-Descript/Abstract to cover more areas.
dressup.png
dressup.png (9.62 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Attachment follows
Disclosure: Tiny lines not required! :D :? :lol:
Attachments
DressUp2.svg
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Last edited by bill on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
agryson

Post by agryson »

Thanks @bill and @cox.

@bill, do you consider the blue background important to the meaning? I think we could maybe get away with just the line - maybe even focusing more on that looping feature?

@cox, an extra element such as a pencil or tool to indicate that we're modifying the path actually isn't too bad of an idea... and hey, if we can use a storm trooper helmet to refer to cloning a tie isn't too nuts of an idea! :-P
agryson

Post by agryson »

Example:
Dressup_3.png
Dressup_3.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Attachments
Dressup_3.svg
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
bill

Post by bill »

agryson wrote:@bill, do you consider the blue background important to the meaning? I think we could maybe get away with just the line - maybe even focusing more on that looping feature?
No, it is there on as-is basis for look-feel of other icons (consistancy).

The pencil is a great idea; pop one of those in the picture!

The loop, in my mind, should consist of two(2) FLAT sides and two(20) ROUNDED. ex 3/4 of a circular loop

Described: The tool is coming off one side of the object, instead of 90_degree immediate turn, passed clear of the cut material, loops back around, and countinues to cut perpendicular too the last face; resulting in a RAZOR sharp corner.

Try adding 3/4 of a circular loop to your icon
cox

Post by cox »

agryson wrote:if we can use a storm trooper helmet to refer to cloning a tie isn't too nuts of an idea! :-P
I agree it is quite nuts. My thinking behind it is that the "Dressup consept" probably has to be known before one can recognize the icon. I think the concept is difficult to describe it intuitively with only an icon.
agryson wrote:an extra element such as a pencil or tool to indicate that we're modifying the path
It might get a bit crowded to introduce more items, but it might be better if the tie had the blue modify colour.
Spectacle.Xu6937.png
Spectacle.Xu6937.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I think the existing dressup has some good ideas to it and maybe can be improved.
Path-Dressup.png
Path-Dressup.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
First, it shouldn't be a drillbit but and flat bottomed end-mill. (This is probably true of most of the icons except for the drilling ones. but I don't want to start a precedent of having accurate tools in icons. :roll: )

But the icon basically conveys the big idea: A base path modified with a new element. If the detail can be maintained, the central part of the old green path could look 'disabled' or greyed out.

The tool could be replaced with something that looks like an X-acto knife for the dragknife dressup.

The path could be rotated to indicate holding tags.

etc.

Just my $.02
agryson

Post by agryson »

sliptonic wrote:But the icon basically conveys the big idea: A base path modified with a new element. If the detail can be maintained, the central part of the old green path could look 'disabled' or greyed out.
I prefer this, it focuses on the core functionality 'path was this, now it's this'. Also, it's basically already done, which is a bonus.