Start Page Redesign

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Start Page Redesign

Post by kkremitzki »

I got the automatic height and width adjustment of the new half-width panes to behave better under small resolutions. I think this is good enough for a PR at this point so: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/607

Sometime in the future I can revisit the "add preview thumbnail in recent files" and "right-side description pane is blank by default" issues, and add other features, especially after some feedback once this gets merged.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Sounds good and thanks for investing the effort in this area.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

People, since QWebKit has been ported to Qt5, nothing prevents us to continue using HTML for the startpage. So I've pushed forward and redesigned the whole start center. The new version can be tested in this branch: https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD/tree/startpage
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-26.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-26.png (109.4 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-39.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-39.png (149.65 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-49.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-48-49.png (138.71 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-49-23.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-05 15-49-23.png (122.76 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
It is now pretty much themable, translatable and configurable (for example a company or a school could use their own html file), and you can have it launch your favorite WB after clicking a document. The file icons used are taken from your own system. Basically I think it's ready for merging now. Hope you'll like!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

First impression... Looks Good!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It looks great, except for the background colour ;)

Good things we'll be able to change it. ;)

yorik wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:55 pm It is now pretty much themable
At some point, how about loading the start page colors from a Stylesheet drop down like the General/General tab, with at least two minimal CSS files, one Light and one Dark in ./FreeCAD/Gui/Stylesheets? While also allowing changing the options individually? I'm not sure if that would be doable.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I changed the colors to suit my desktop theme. The default is light grey and white. I was too lazy to change back to default for these screenshots...
NormandC wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 pm At some point, how about loading the start page colors from a Stylesheet drop down like the General/General tab, with at least two minimal CSS files, one Light and one Dark in ./FreeCAD/Gui/Stylesheets? While also allowing changing the options individually? I'm not sure if that would be doable.
I'm not sure either. It's all html, it's themable with css, but I'm not sure how/if the qt stylesheets can be used...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm I changed the colors to suit my desktop theme. The default is light grey and white.
I'm relieved ;)

yorik wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm It's all html, it's themable with css, but I'm not sure how/if the qt stylesheets can be used...
I was not thinking of using .qss file, but just saving .css files specific to the StartPage inside the same Stylesheets folder in the user's Home. The idea is for end users to be able to theme it if they wish, and to not have to write files under /usr/... But I think this could be a long-term goal.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In theory, the qss contains css code... If it would be loaded with the html, most of it wouldn't apply to our html page, but I think it would still parse correctly. So maybe additional rules added to the qss, specifically aimed at the start page, would work? This needs some experiment...
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:55 pm People, since QWebKit has been ported to Qt5, nothing prevents us to continue using HTML for the startpage. So I've pushed forward and redesigned the whole start center. The new version can be tested in this branch: https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD/tree/startpage

It is now pretty much themable, translatable and configurable (for example a company or a school could use their own html file), and you can have it launch your favorite WB after clicking a document. The file icons used are taken from your own system. Basically I think it's ready for merging now. Hope you'll like!
Looking great so far from my point.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking forward to see it as a part of regular FreeCAD update process.