Soft UI/UX suggestions for Macro Addon Installer

A subforum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

kkremitzki

Re: Soft UI/UX suggestions for Macro Addon Installer

Postby kkremitzki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I plan on doing some more work on this project over the next few weeks, and I have a quick question for you all.

Right now, this tool's menu text is "Addon manager". Originally, when it was a macro, it was "Addons installer", but I unilaterally changed it when I added that code to FreeCAD's core since I don't believe the extra 's' is grammatically correct, and I was curious if anyone would say anything. In truth, also, "add-on" should be hyphenated.

Now, however, it doesn't really seem like anyone noticed, so I'd like to have a discussion on the topic. What should the tool say or be called? For comparison,
- Firefox just has a button labeled "Add-ons"
- LibreOffice has an "Extension Manager"
- QGIS has "Manage and install plugins"
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:23 pm

This is a complicated matter... Even more that FreeCAD uses the concept internally too (the modules are in a sense also plug-ins). And the "add-ons" are in fact workbenches and macros, that can sometimes also be simply FreeCAD modules... Doh :)

I'm not sure we can find something that will definitely solve the question :D
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 pm

"Addon manager" sounds all right to me. It makes it more-or-less clear they are not part of freecad itself.

Addon (or plug-in) may be is a module, but a module is not necessarily an add-on. See, you can't remove Part from FreeCAD with add-on manager, and I think it is right. "Extension" means a different thing in FreeCAD already, so it's taken.